Full suspension for £1800

rsmart84
rsmart84 Posts: 19
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking for a full suspension trail bike. I will be riding up the cannok chase. My budget is £1800. I've narrowed it down to the following, unless there's a better bike for the price please advise.

1)Canyon neuron al 7.0

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/neuron ... o_s=gplauk

2)Vitus Escarpe VR

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod159743

3)Specialized Stumpjumper FSR ST 29 2019

https://www.wheelbase.co.uk/product/bik ... _4QAvD_BwE

Comments

• tallpaul_s
    tallpaul_s Posts: 130
    Those are 3 quite different bikes, the Canyon is a short travel (110/120mm) 27.5/29 XC/trail bike, the Vitus is a 140/150mm travel trail/enduro bike and the specialized has a terrible spec for the price, but is a 120mm/130mm 29er.

Unless you meant to link the Vitus VR 29er? Firstly, what do you want, 29er or 27.5? I'm biased as I own the Vitus Escarpe 27.5 that you linked, you'll be hard pressed to beat the spec for the price, you can get it for £1665 if you get british cycling discount which gives you 10% off at CRC.
  • rsmart84
    Ye I think ideally 27.5. The Vitus seems best spec to me, just was not so sure if they are a good brand or not as I'm only just getting back into biking after years away from it
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have a look at 2018 bikes as well in the current sales, comparing the specs.

It looks like you can hire full suspension bikes at Cannock. May be useful to try some different bikes to see what you prefer.
  • rsmart84
    Ok thank you for the feedback :D
  • tallpaul_s
    Have a look at my thread if you're considering the Escarpe - https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13091668

I've done 200 miles on it now and can't recommend it enough.

I hired/demoed a few bikes but this is my first MTB after about a 15 year break (early 20's to mid-30's) and as a first FS it's pretty much spot on. :D
  • tallpaul_s
    Also, CRC currently have the Sommet VRS on sale for £2k, with the British cycling discount that brings it down to £1800. It may be overkill with the 160/170mm travel BUT it has GX eagle and an overall spec that is amazing for that price. DT Swiss E1700 wheels, Guide RE brakes, Lyric and Super Deluxe.
  • rsmart84
    I see alot of people saying a hardtail might be best for the chase. I've been looking at the following two bikes.

1)Vitus sentier vrs

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... d|587265UK

2) Whyte 905

https://www.whyte.bike/905/

Now I can get the white for £1400 from my local bike shop on offer and Ive seen raving reviews. Would this be my best choice?
    Thanks
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I’d go full suspension over hard tail if you can afford it. I have both and the full susser is so much better in every way, it’s far more comfortable to ride.
  • danlightbulb
    danlightbulb Posts: 701
    Ive ridden Cannock on an xc biased hardtail for 6 years now. Its pretty rough in places though and I cant keep up with people on more aggressive bikes. Im just about to buy a full suss soon.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Hardtail is great, in the right places. I've ridden Cannock on both HT and FS.

FS wins hands down. That is purely because I can carry more speed and ride more aggresively = more fun.

Having said that, I am a big fan of HT riding, on the right terrain. My HT is my winter bike as I ride locally on paths/trails/tracks/tarmac where a FS would be too much (most of the proper off-road stuff is just unrideable as it's so mucky). In that instance, my HT is more fun (and suitable).

You could get a Plus bike - the Norco HT got good reviews.

You can ride Cannock on a HT - you just might not feel you're getting so many smiles per miles.

In terms of decent entry level FS bikes for me:

Vitus
    Boardman (arguably recent specs have dropped due to € issues apparently)
    Calibre
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    For £1800 I'd be seriously looking at a Trance. Paul's Cycles and Rutland Cycling are selling the 2017 Trance 2 for £1750 and £1700 respectively, although sizes are limited.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    paths/trails/tracks/tarmac where a FS would be too much

Why would a FS be too much? A FS is better as it smooths out the chatter and lumps and bumps and has better traction. I ride both, my FS wins hands down on all surfaces, even road. I enjoy riding my hard tail as it’s more of a work out plus it stops me wearing my Fs out and destroying the bearings over winter.

If you’re riding a 170mm down hill Enduro rig then yes it will be too much as it will be quite heavy and more gravity orientated, but a XC/Trail FS is great for tracks/trails & tarmac.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    JGTR wrote:
    paths/trails/tracks/tarmac where a FS would be too much

Why would a FS be too much? A FS is better as it smooths out the chatter and lumps and bumps and has better traction. I ride both, my FS wins hands down on all surfaces, even road. I enjoy riding my hard tail as it’s more of a work out plus it stops me wearing my Fs out and destroying the bearings over winter.

If you’re riding a 170mm down hill Enduro rig then yes it will be too much as it will be quite heavy and more gravity orientated, but a XC/Trail FS is great for tracks/trails & tarmac.

I find I get a much better speed sensation from my HT. The trails are literally paths, cinder trails etc so I don't get much trail chatter. I can get the power down better with my HT in that the rear end is rigid and it climbs better.

The other helpful aspect that I didn't mention is that my FS is 1x11 and my HT is old school 3x9. I get much better gearing on it for the road sections etc, whereas my FS spins out on anything over say 30mph. I did get it up to 41mph the other night but that was a bit mental and I was chasing a Strava segment on a big DH section (tarmac). My HT allows me to maintain higher average speed and suits what I ride better.

Not saying it can't be done on a FS but for me, my HT is better suited.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • tallpaul_s
    On the FS argument, if you're 'older' or not as fit as you were, or will be doing long rides, a FS bike will let you ride further, longer with less tiredness.

I did a couple of 2 hour rides on hardtails when just getting back into MTB riding and at the end my legs were toast which forced me to sit down a lot, which then sent every little trail bump and ripple though the seat to my sit bones which made them hurt, which made me want to stand up more, which tired my legs out, you get the idea.

At my age (37) and level of fitness FS was the only choice, primarily for the comfort aspect. I will own a hardtail in the next year or so though, steel or possibly titanium :) oh and if you do go hardtail, get a plus or semi plus model, 2.5/6" tyres minimum.