Cube Attain Disc - Sizing for a 5'8" shorty

dmont
dmont Posts: 74
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at getting a new road bike with endurance geometry so I can get some miles in without killing my back.
After researching and sitting on lots of different makes and models, I've almost decided to purchase a Cube Attain Disc from my LBS. There is one big issue though, sizing.

My LBS has an Attain SL 2018 in stock, it's sized at 56cm. Unfortunately, myself and the salesman think this size is just a bit too big for me, not by a huge amount though. They are going to try and get a 53cm in so I can try that, but it may be a few weeks off so I'm tempted to purchase online.

I did try the Cannondale Synapse Disc in a 54cm size, this did feel pretty good..... However, I've written that off as it's got cable discs.

I've searched this forum and others for advice but my head is spinning with measurements and I'd rather not purchase a bike that doesn't fit me.
Has anyone my size got one of these bikes (2017 or 2018 model) in either a 53 or 56 size for advice ? . Below are my measurements

Hopefully I've measured correctly:
Height - 5'8"
Inside leg - 30.5"
Torso - 25.5"
Reach - 25"

Many thanks
Riding - Voodoo Bantu

Comments

• gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    Same height and similar leg length to me . 53 is your size in that model .
  • dmont

That’s great, thanks Gary.
    Do you find your 53cm gives a race feel (head down, arse up) or a more relaxed endurance feel where you can ride all day ?
    What’s the drop like from seat to bars, do you need the seat up really high?
    Have you needed to increase the stem at all ?

Cheers
    Dmont
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • gary_sparrow
    gary_sparrow Posts: 181
    dmont wrote:

That’s great, thanks Gary.
    Do you find your 53cm gives a race feel (head down, ars* up) or a more relaxed endurance feel where you can ride all day ?
    What’s the drop like from seat to bars, do you need the seat up really high?
    Have you needed to increase the stem at all ?

Cheers
    Dmont

I don’t have one myself . Looking at geometry though a 56cm top tube is too long . Not to mention the head tube at 18.2 . 53 will be perfect for you
  • I’m 5’7”, with a 28” inside leg. I have a size 53 Attain. That’s the size you need also, the 56 will be too big.
  • dmont
    Thank you for the replies and advice guys, 53cm it is then.

Dmont
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu
  • dmont
    Quick update to this thread.

I’ve decided to go with the Cannondale Synapse Disc 2018. Yes the components aren’t as good as the Cube but it looks great and fits me very well..
    Ordered & now waiting for the cycle scheme to come through.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Dmont.
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu