Weaker leg

Pedro872
Pedro872 Posts: 67
Hi,

Probably like most I have a weaker leg, mine being my right which during tough rides is always the one to start to suffer first.

Recently I have started to do a lot more out of the saddle sprinting and out of the saddle climbing which is causing my right quad and thigh to cramp up somewhat even on relatively short rides of around 30-40 miles. I regularly use a foam roller as I've had a problem with a knot in my quad for a long time now but wondered if anyone can give me any advice to building strength in my weaker leg?

Next stop if the knot/cramping carries on is maybe a trip to the physio I'm thinking, what are you thoughts?

Thanks,

Pedro.

Comments

• Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    A lot of things can cause leg cramps.
    If you have quite a bit of riding experience in your legs then it's important to check the following:
    1. Electrolyte level, this is important in warmer weathers, this is called heat cramps, I personally go through this quite often, I just need more sodium.

2. Make sure you are not eating way too much, that you are bloated

3. Keep the fluid level high

4. Make sure your shorts fit you very well, not so tight that it cuts off blood flow, but not too loose that it doesn't give you any compression

With that being said leg cramps are normal, everyone will go through it at some point, if everything is right, then it's just that your legs are tired.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nothing to do with 'strength' - IME muscles generally cramp because they are insufficiently trained for what you are asking them to do. Could also be a position/fit issue. Otherwise, as above..
  • Pedro872
    Pedro872 Posts: 67
    I’m quite an experienced rider who’s no stranger to long distances or lots of climbing. I always fuel well and stretch before every ride. I generally stay seated during climbing but the problem is now coming due to me changing things a little like I said, out of the seat sprinting and out of the seat climbing.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Pedro872 wrote:
    I generally stay seated during climbing but the problem is now coming due to me changing things a little like I said, out of the seat sprinting and out of the seat climbing.

So you are using muscles which have previously not been used in that way. Which is another way of saying that the muscles you are using are not trained sufficiently, which seems the most likely explanation..
  • Yanis Nayu
    Yanis Nayu Posts: 10
    You might find that it’s actually your stronger leg, and it’s cramping because it’s doing most of the work. I don’t think having little knots from old injuries helps. The main thing is to get progressively fitter, and back off the things that trigger it a bit.