Mountain, Hybrid, or Road Bike?

TheDarkLord
TheDarkLord Posts: 7
edited June 2018 in MTB beginners
Hello guys/gals.

I haven't had a bike since I was in my early teens and I am going to be purchasing one for exercise. I would like your opinions on what type of bike is best for me. I'm rather overweight at around 23 stone and I will be riding mainly on footpaths. I don't plan on riding on the roads or riding on any trails with the bumps and jumps that come with them.

Also any brand or bike suggestions is much appreciated. I want a good bike which is sturdy and I am willing to spend a decent amount on one £400-£450 maybe? I've been looking on halfords as its the only bicycle store I can think of that is in reasonable distance to myself.

Thanks in Advance,
TheDarkLord.

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Based on what terrain you are saying, I'd go for a hybrid or a cyclo-cross /gravel bike.

The latter has drop bars, and is basically a road bike but designed to be a bit more rough n tough than a road bike.

I'd decide if you'd prefer flat bars or drop bars first, that will really help narrow down the choice.
  • I think I would prefer flat bars.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Be aware though that most bikes from Halfords have a max weight of 18st 10lbs for the rider.
  • Where can I find the weight limitations on bikes? I cannot seem to find much information on it at all. :/
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's something to discuss with a dealer. At Halfords it was more a warranty issue - I did in the past (when I worked for them) sell bikes to riders heavier than this, but noted down on the PDI form that they knew about the limit and it had been fully explained to them.
  • Ah I see. Makes sense I guess.

Is Voodoo a Halfords own brand? I know Apollo, Carrera, and Boardman is. Also any others I'm missing.

Also to note for anyone wanting to help. I don't have to get a bike from Halfords I can also go elsewhere or even order online.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Pretty much yes. Apollo stuff is generally junk, and best avoided. carrearas are ok, but voodoo and boardmans are the better bikes they sell in Halfords.. But it depends what your looking at, at what price point.
  • £400ish is what I was thinking.
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    £400ish is what I was thinking.

c.£500 can give you a better choice:

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/m ... view-video

At that price point you can also look at:

Calibre (Go Outdoors)
    Vitus (CRC)
    Anything else on offer from 2016/17 (check Pauls Cycles)
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I hope it's bike paths you're riding on rather than footpaths ? If it's exercise you're after - just walk - you'll burn more calories.
  • BillyCool wrote:
    £400ish is what I was thinking.

c.£500 can give you a better choice:

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/m ... view-video

At that price point you can also look at:

Calibre (Go Outdoors)
    Vitus (CRC)
    Anything else on offer from 2016/17 (check Pauls Cycles)

Thanks for the info.
    Fenix wrote:
    I hope it's bike paths you're riding on rather than footpaths ? If it's exercise you're after - just walk - you'll burn more calories.

I currently don't ride anywhere. The paths I was referring to are those which have two halves one for walking one for cycling.