Pain in one foot but not the other

mtbrider123
mtbrider123 Posts: 102
Hi Guys,

So I have a pair of Mavic comete ultimate shoes, and after some time I get pain in my right foot but not the left. Both shoes are tightened to roughly the same pressure. If I loosen the right shoe, the foot will just become too lose inside the shoe. My friend has the same problem but with another brand (s-works), any idea what might be causing this and how to solve it?

Thanks

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Fairly random guess, I got this when my saddle was a touch too high. Worth a punt?
  • mtbrider123
    craker wrote:
    Fairly random guess, I got this when my saddle was a touch too high. Worth a punt?

Nah, definitely not the saddle height as I had a couple of bike fits.
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Where is the pain located? If the foot is too loose in the shoe when you untie it maybe you are using a bigger size and to compensate you over tighten them? You could ask the bike fitter to check the shoe setup again.
  • mtbrider123
    zefs wrote:
    Where is the pain located? If the foot is too loose in the shoe when you untie it maybe you are using a bigger size and to compensate you over tighten them? You could ask the bike fitter to check the shoe setup again.

It’s in the 8&9 area (about 3cm further back from the ball of the foot) here is a photo: https://ibb.co/f2c9GT
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Try moving the cleat back a bit (1mm each time) and see if it goes away. Also you shouldn't tighten the shoes so much that could cause issues with blood circulation. Another possibility is combination of wide feet with narrow shoes, some people have wide feet and buy bigger size shoes although they need wide fit shoes at the correct size.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Most/many people have one foot slightly bigger than the other anyway. Either you have the wrong shoes to start with, or perhaps you are over-tightening the straps and not allowing for any compensation for foot expansion as you warm up..
  • mtbrider123
    Imposter wrote:
    Most/many people have one foot slightly bigger than the other anyway. Either you have the wrong shoes to start with, or perhaps you are over-tightening the straps and not allowing for any compensation for foot expansion as you warm up..

Both shoes are tightened to the same pressure. It’s weird because the pain wasn’t the from the time I started wearing these shoes. I’ve worn them for 1 month without any problem. Another thing I forgot to mention. I had a 3mm wedge on my right foot (as my hip was dropping more on the right side) but I’ve removed it as the fitter said so, maybe that is the problem?

(Pain is in the right shoe where the front closure system is)
  • mtbrider123
    zefs wrote:
    Try moving the cleat back a bit (1mm each time) and see if it goes away. Also you shouldn't tighten the shoes so much that could cause issues with blood circulation. Another possibility is combination of wide feet with narrow shoes, some people have wide feet and buy bigger size shoes although they need wide fit shoes at the correct size.

Ok, thank you. I’ll try that. No, shoes are not narrow, they’re wider than my previous shoes (sidis). The Mavics are size 40-40.5 and sidis were 41. If I put another very thin insole inside the Mavics, my foot will be pressed against the carbon.