Shimano cassette question

Freeway
Freeway Posts: 18
edited May 2018 in Road general
Is it ok to choose my own sprockets for my chainring as long as I don’t ignore the min/max for the high and low gears as given for my particular Derailleur?
In other words, if I keep my high and low sprockets as they are can I do what I want to the middle? Or must I choose from one of the pre made cassettes?

Basically my problem is that I have a long cage derailleur and the cassette that I want will only work with the short cage version due to the fact that my long cage has a Low sprocket_Min of 28 ( I’d need it to be 25 to buy the pre made sprockets )

Thanks!

Comments

• Freeway
    Hmmm, just found a website selling single shimano replacement sprockets and they recommend only replacing sprockets with the same number of teeth. Guess that answers my question...
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I'm pretty sure that a long cage derailleur will work with a x-25 tooth cassette. Shifting might be sup optimal if you can't get the top jockey wheel close enough to the cassette, but I can't imagine it would be so bad as to be unacceptable.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Hmmmm - this has got MF and I and I thinking.

Intriguing potential.

Can you post a link to that place that sell individual cogs please.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Freeway
    I had the English version bookmarked. Don’t know what happened to it. I’ll let you fish around for it. Here is a start for you though. Great site. Has all the “weird” parts you don’t see at, for example wiggle.
    https://www.bike-components.de/de/Shima ... ne-p24626/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Well, given My German goes as far as Hande hoch Englander Commando! Schnell schnell Englander Spitfire! And "for you Tommy the war is over" that site rocks. Really useful. Danke.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Freeway
    Ah, open the side menu to the left. At the bottom there are some Language options
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Freeway wrote:
    Is it ok to choose my own sprockets for my chainring as long as I don’t ignore the min/max for the high and low gears as given for my particular Derailleur?
    In other words, if I keep my high and low sprockets as they are can I do what I want to the middle? Or must I choose from one of the pre made cassettes?

Basically my problem is that I have a long cage derailleur and the cassette that I want will only work with the short cage version due to the fact that my long cage has a Low sprocket_Min of 28 ( I’d need it to be 25 to buy the pre made sprockets )

Thanks!

I have just replaced my short cage, hardly used, for a long cage so I have one cheap!
  • Freeway
    Thanks but I decided to tough it out for now. With some work I’m going to see if I can get my legs to tame that 16 tooth