Bent/buckled hub .. how does this happen ?

Pigosoratus
Pigosoratus Posts: 17
edited May 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
I have a nice Dura-Ace 7403 rear hub which runs very smoothly on my road bike BUT I've noticed that its buckled ? .. I dont know whether this has happened during the two years that I've had it or whether it was bent when I bought it (suspect it was) .. the hub needs to be turning fairly rapidly for the wobble to be visible .. the cassette wobbles also. The axle is quite straight .. cant figure how it the buckle could've happened ?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've never heard of a buckled hub before!
    It's pretty common for the cassette to wobble a tiny bit when viewed from above, but generally on lower end stuff.

If the bearings are OK and properly adjusted, the axle is straight and the wheel sits squarely between the seat and chainstays, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cassettes do wobble. I don't think your hub is buckled.
  • Pigosoratus
    I assure you the hub is buckled .. when I spin it rapidly its very obvious that the flanges wobble to-and-fro and a slight bend in the central "tube" is apparent .. The hub dates from maybe 1995 and I've had it for two years so damage could've happened years ago .. shame because otherwise it runs perfectly.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    Assuming it didn't come from the factory like that then the only conclusion is that some amount of force cause it to buckle.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If it runs perfectly then what's the problem ?
  • Pigosoratus
    "if it runs ok so what ?" ... just puzzled how it could happen .. was it something I've done ? .. though it would take enormous force to bend, I dont think spoke tension could do it .. cassette wobble so great that need to keep rear derailleur in perfect adjustment. For that reason I've acquired a replacement. Guess I'll have to bin it, which seems a shame.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Dont bin it. I take the hub, there could be a a good freehub on it and bearing cups. really I will have it. If fact I'll rebuilt your wheel for the cost of the return postage if you let me keep the hub. spare freehubs are not common any more and bearing cups were never common.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Pigosoratus
    OK I will place it on ebay " Dura-Ace FH 7403 for spares"
    The 8-speed uniglide/hyperglide freehub, cups/cones, bearings and axle seem fine .. I've replaced with Ultegra 600 Tri colour (front and rear) .. the wheels are built and are free-running and smooth. My original front hub was RSX A410.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Send me the link please when it up or pm me a price so long as the freehub has no play. I'll have it no need for eBay.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.