Giro 2018, Stage 19: Turin - Monte Jafferau - 184 kilometres. *Spoilers*

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    RichN95 wrote:
    As I said at the time, he's really put some effort into that. He deserves some credit. Certainly better than the p1ss poor dinosaur.

I agree, I actually like people doing things like that, it's proper humour and doing it well.

Some copycat of the boar man a few weeks ago I'd rather see trip up and smash his face in, the original boar man was only good cos it was just a plain weird thing to do.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    mfin wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    As I said at the time, he's really put some effort into that. He deserves some credit. Certainly better than the p1ss poor dinosaur.

I agree, I actually like people doing things like that, it's proper humour and doing it well.

Some copycat of the boar man a few weeks ago I'd rather see trip up and smash his face in, the original boar man was only good cos it was just a plain weird thing to do.
    The two good things about boar man were:

1. He never got close to Quintana
    2. He looked exactly like Silvio Berlusconi
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mfin
    Ah, it's almost as if there was no boar at all then, it was just an insignificant detail.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    The best thing about boar man was the fact that he was running alongside Quintanta in his pants with a stuffed boar missing a leg!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,231
    If we’re giving entertainment ratings; it can’t get a 10 because there wasn’t enough jeopardy in Froome’s win.

For full marks we would have needed a real see saw: perhaps a collapse of a minute or some obvious cramp.

Something to spice up the finale.

Also it makes me sad someone so ugly on a bike can be so good. So so sad.

I mean I thought Armstrong’s egg beater style with his big shoulders, ugly socks and Texan scowl was bad but this is a different league.
  • RichN95.
    Always worth a revisit

ku-xlarge.gif

I want someone to put the Jurassic Park theme to the clip with Froome and the dinosaur.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    RichN95 wrote:
    Always worth a revisit

ku-xlarge.gif

I want someone to put the Jurassic Park theme to the clip with Froome and the dinosaur.
    He just seems so pleased the leg has fallen off...
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2018
    Similarly it makes me sad that someone as fat as Adele can sing so well.

Oh, hang on it doesn't. Because that would be stupid.

Why do people care what someone looks like? When I was a teenager I thought Charly Mottet looked the coolest on a bike from photos in Winning. But later I found out he was considered a bit ugly.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Similarly it makes me sad that someone as fat as Adele can sing so well.

Oh, hang on it doesn't. Because that would be stupid.

Why do people care what someone looks like?

Because I spend a lot of time looking at it?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    foto1.jpg

When I saw that photo, my first thought was "wow that woman has muscular quads" :shock:
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Just watched it - had to take daughter2 over to Stafford to play a game of football this evening - probably the best ride that wasn't subsequently DQed for testosterone I've ever seen. Almost literally unbelievable, if you'd given me 100-1 on that I'd have told you to do one.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.
    Just watched it - had to take daughter2 over to Stafford to play a game of football this evening - probably the best ride that wasn't subsequently DQed for testosterone I've ever seen. Almost literally unbelievable, if you'd given me 100-1 on that I'd have told you to do one.
    This morning Froome was only 9-1 to win the Giro.
  • Eurosport highlights were dire.
    You'd think with 90 minutes to play with they could do a decent job even on a stage like today, but no. What they showed was seeming exclusively based upon whether Kirby was commentating or not, and not the good way round. Totally skipped over the drama of when Yates actually went off the back for one.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Clearly this is a pretty balanced forum and that was immense to watch but is there not a single whiff of doubt or incredulity about what was witnessed today?
    The comparative slowness of the climbs does indeed bring some reassurance but on the flip side, this has been an inordinately hard race thus far. Serious non trolling question.

It's a fair question. Having seen (and enjoyed) some pretty doped rides, I think Yates has punched himself out, TD is struggling, and Froome just went all out to see what happened. Taking three minutes or so isn't outrageous over that distance so I'm cool with the idea that it was clean. Whether Froome should be at the Giro at all is a different question, but I don't think this particular stage was more dodgy than usual - as notable as the result was.
  • mfin
    edited May 2018
    If we’re giving entertainment ratings; it can’t get a 10 because there wasn’t enough jeopardy in Froome’s win.

For full marks we would have needed a real see saw: perhaps a collapse of a minute or some obvious cramp.

I mean I thought Armstrong’s egg beater style with his big shoulders, ugly socks and Texan scowl was bad but this is a different league.

What a load of crap, it's a bloke pedalling a bike better than anyone else on the day. If the way he looks when doing it makes you sad you need to get a life.

Also if that stage isn't a 10 you're only scoring it against imaginary scenarios you think would be better. Not many stages are ones that people will refer to for years, that one will be.

(and I don't much like Froome but completely respect just how good he is).
  • mfin
    edited May 2018
    Eurosport highlights were dire.
    You'd think with 90 minutes to play with they could do a decent job even on a stage like today, but no. What they showed was seeming exclusively based upon whether Kirby was commentating or not, and not the good way round. Totally skipped over the drama of when Yates actually went off the back for one.

I agree having watched the highlights too, they were pretty shît. It's as if no one who watches cycling had been involved in the edit.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    There's no one individually there who it's implausible that Froome could take 3 minutes out of one on one. That's basically what it was today.

I havent really grown attached to Yates yet for some reason. I'm glad he's doing well but I was hardly gutted today.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    mfin wrote:

What a load of crap, it's a bloke pedalling a bike better than anyone else on the day. If the way he looks when doing it makes you sad you need to get a life.

Ah lighten up mate.

It’s bike race chat. It’s all relative!

The guy looks like he learned to ride a bike 3 weeks ago, speed aside.

You wouldn’t want all the kids copying his style would you? Half of them would end up riding into the back of a car.

When I was a kid I tried to go uphill on the drops Pantani style (turns out he must have had a lower back made from granite).
  • RichN95.

Ah lighten up mate.

You wouldn’t want all the kids copying his style would you? Half of them would end up riding into the back of a car.

When I was a kid I tried to go uphill on the drops Pantani style (turns out he must have had a lower back made from granite).
    You should listen to Malcolm Gladwell's podcast about Wilt Chamberlain, as recommended by Iain.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    RichN95 wrote:
    This morning Froome was only 9-1 to win the Giro.

Cut me some slack I've had a couple of drinks, even so if anyone says they'd have taken 9-1 this morning they are either a liar a fool or can see the future.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Unfortunately I'm away at a wedding this weekend. So only caught up now. Was a godlike stage also judging by the amount of pages here.

Froome's acceleration at 80 km to go and tactics also utterly godlike!

Still not the classics, but as good as a GT can get. Amazing race and incredible from Froome.

10/10
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mfin
    Ah lighten up mate.

I think you'll find most people aren't weird enough to try to do impressions of how someone else seems to look on a bike, it wouldn't occur to normal people to do it or even to want to do it.

So, naff all kids would try an impression in the first place then you think half of those would end up riding into the back of a car? No they wouldn't, probably naff all of the naff all.

You're still just talking rubbish :) ...and I don't think I could lighten up any more!

Being averse to the way one spandex clad man looks on a bike is a bit odd, it's a man, in spandex, cycling. If you need your spandex clad men to look the particular way you'd like them to then fair enough.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    adr82 wrote:
    Anyone know where I can watch this epic stage from start to finish? I was at work and missed it.
    Thanks a lot.
    Full stage here
    Just watched it through again, many thanks for the link!

What a ride by Froome........... but have to say, Big Tom didn't overly push himself and didn't go into the red until the last k. Saving himself for today...??

Our friend Kirby's quote of the day shortly after Froome broke away from the peloton '..... he's not taking the advantage, he's taking the mick!' and 'It's Froome's party but who's got an invite?'. Pure gold. :mrgreen:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    As for Froome looking ugly on a bike, Tom Dumoulin is hardly Mr Pédaleur de Charme.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    Cycling social media in a nutshell:

Friday morning: If I was Sky DS I'd do a long range attack but they won't cos they're boring

Friday evening: I'm done with the sport, how can anyone believe this.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    As for Froome looking ugly on a bike, Tom Dumoulin is hardly Mr Pédaleur de Charme.

And Pozzovivo looks like he's vitamin C deficient.

They all have their idiosyncrasies.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    the end of the Eurosport highlight was good with the Hurt song playing
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    gutted im missing the final week due to working in Monaco. After seeing Yates hang look so dominate up to now I was hoping he would hang on and keep the jersey, but what a performance from Froome. Ride of a champion but will be interesting to see what that performance took out of him.

Not really kept up to date with social media, are people really saying they cant believe that ride ? It's not good for the sport when all great rides are immediately associated with drugs and cheating
  • rick_chasey

It’s a relative.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Meanwhile, TD calling Reichenbach Falls an old lady hasn't gone down too well.

I re-watched the Finestre and Sestriere descents last night and Reichenbach does indeed descend poorly. He was dropped by the others any time they upped the pace a little. There is no doubt that Dumoulin shifted loads of time here. He really should not have allowed Pinot to persuade him to wait for Reichenbach. They were riding along as if on a holiday at one point on the Finestre descent, while waving for Reichenbach to catch-up.
    Correlation is not causation.