Route me!

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited May 2018 in Commuting chat
I'm looking to include Leith and Box Hill on the way into work perhaps one morning a week but I can't seem to see a nice route once I've come down through Box Hill village.

I want to get to my standard route in down the Embankment really

Does anyone live around there and have any decent routes into London that don't involve going through Epsom and hitting the A24? I'm guessing that I'll need to go back on myself at some point and try and get across Leatherhead and then out through Oxshott.
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Loop back round and head up Ranmore or Westhumble, through Effingham and Cobham?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Through box hill village and left at the bottom towards Headley. Go past Leatherhead turning and take the right towards Epson Downs a bit further on. Follow the B290 to Epsom then out again on the B284. Go left towards Chessington then take a right at the RAB on Hook Road (A243) all the way to the river which then takes you towards Kingston.
  • j_mcd
    cjcp wrote:
    Loop back round and head up Ranmore or Westhumble, through Effingham and Cobham?

I considered this but gong up Ranmore isn't that attractive in addition to the route I've already taken. I find Ranmore a bit of a slog (mainly due to fatness and laziness)!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Laziness? Says the man riding in from the wilds! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • j_mcd
    cjcp wrote:
    Laziness? Says the man riding in from the wilds! :)

This is true, but my body just says no at some point. It's probably the fatness really, I'm not 'designed' for going up hills (although I tend to be VERY fast down them).
  • j_mcd
    Through box hill village and left at the bottom towards Headley. Go past Leatherhead turning and take the right towards Epson Downs a bit further on. Follow the B290 to Epsom then out again on the B284. Go left towards Chessington then take a right at the RAB on Hook Road (A243) all the way to the river which then takes you towards Kingston.

This looks interesting. What's Epsom like in the morning though? I've only ever been there to go out on the beers so I have no reference point other than Friday and Saturday nights at the Marquis of Granby
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Dunno. Either way it should be fine on a bike, I guess.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    J_MCD wrote:

This looks interesting. What's Epsom like in the morning though? I've only ever been there to go out on the beers so I have no reference point other than Friday and Saturday nights at the Marquis of Granby

Epsom is ground to a halt so is safe. I wouldn't fancy the A243 in the morning

Leatherhead is not great but if you go out towards Stoke D'Abernon and then take the right on Fairmile Lane that drops you at the Fairmile Pub lights on A307
  • ricky_h-2
    ricky_h-2 Posts: 119
    From Epsom b284 to Ewell, pick up Ruxley lane, north along the road parallel to the a240 (not on it), cross the road at the lights picking up b284 into old Malden, left on Malden road, right after 1km on to motspur park (past fulham training ground, left on Claremont avenue, carry on to raynes park, left up Durham roac/vottenham park. Right then left through roundabouts on to woodhayes road across Wimbledon common and then left on to Parkside down to Putney and wind your way through the back rounds of south London into town
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Similar to what others have said but head East to Cobham avoiding Ranmore. Join and follow this route from Leatherhead onwards:

Shrove Tuesday ride
    FCN = 4
  • j_mcd
    Thanks all.

I'll give the ride a try once this bloody headwind problem disappears! Prevailing wind from the south-west my a*se