Giro 2018, Stage 19: Turin - Monte Jafferau - 184 kilometres. *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited November 2018 in Pro race
The first half of hard to split, Queen stage claimants

Giro 2018, Stage 19: Turin - Monte Jafferau - 184 kilometres.

Friday, 25 May 2018 - The 19th stage of the Giro d'Italia amounts to 184 kilometres. The race through the Alps takes in climbs up the Colle delle Finestre and Colle Sestriere to finish atop of Monte Jafferau. The route climbs 3,500 vertical metres.The Jafferau is an explosive final chapter at the end of a demanding route. The 7.2 kilometres climb is averaging 9%, which is a biased statistic as the first 500 metres go up at merely 4.6%. But then the double digit gradients kick in. Following a middle section at around 8% the last 3 kilometres rise with an average gradient of almost 10%, while the final 500 metres are a whooping 11.6%.

So that’s a dream for a niche in the peloton, called climbers, and a nightmare for the rest of the riders. Especially since the route basically starts to climb when the flag is dropped in Venaria Reale, a place just north of Turin. The Colle del Lys is a sheer endless rolling slope with its crest after almost 50 kilometres. Some 13 kilometres before the top the toughest section is 7.1% for 5 kilometres. Yet, compared to what the stage has in store it is really nothing.
stage-19-colle-del-lys.jpg?01
Following the descent a false flat runs to the base of this Giro’s giant: Colle delle Finestre. It is a steady ascent – steady in the sense that the gradients are hovering between 9 and 10% from bottom to summit. The 18.9 kilometres toil is features 45 hairpins and the second half runs on unpaved roads. The rider who is first over the top wins Cima Coppi, as this year’s Giro won’t get any higher than the 2,178 metres peak of the Finestre. Still 73.3 kilometres to go at the top.
stage-19-colle-delle-finestre.jpg?01
Colle-delle-Finestre.jpg
The technical descent on narrow roads leads to Pragelato, where the climb to high altitude ski station Sestriere begins. Which is yet another long ascent, but to be frank, this time it’s only the distance that installs fear. Amounting to 16.2 kilometres, the first 7 kilometres are basically a prolonged false flat, while the rest of the climb is averaging some 5%.
stage-19-sestriere.jpg?01
In 2015, the stage ended in Sestriere, but now it’s just a passage with almost 50 kilometres remaining. A long descent drops down to Oulx and a 13 kilometres section leads through the valley to Bardonecchia. This is the base of the steep Jafferau, where Eddy Merckx climbed to victory in the 1972 Giro, thus cementing his overall lead which ultimately led him to winning the pink jersey that year.

The last time the Giro d’Italia included the Monte Jafferau was in 2013. With snow falling and temperatures close to zero at the 1,908 metres high finish, the weather was a disaster that day. Mauro Santambrogio climbed to victory in the same time as maglia rosa Vincenzo Nibali.
stage-19-jafferau.jpg?01

Profile:-
stage-19-profile.jpg?01

Map:-
stage-19-route.jpg?01

Finish:-
stage-19-3km.jpg?01
stage-19-finish.jpg

3D Profiles:-
Colle delle Finestre:-
stage-19-colle-delle-finestre-3d.jpg
Jaffrau:-
stage-19-jafferau-3d.jpg

Froome's Finestre reckon video. Some nice shots.

http://lebuzz.eurosport.co.uk/viral/chr ... ter-29210/

VENARIA REALE

At the confluence of the rivers Ceronda and Stura di Lanzo at an altitude of 264 m, the city of Venaria Reale, in the province of Turin, is the only Italian town, along with Ceresole Reale, which is entitled to bear the ‘Royal’ title in its denomination and is known for its palace, one of the Savoy Estates included in the UNESCO World Heritage site list since 1997.

MAIN SIGHTS
Reggia di Venaria Reale (Royal Residence, including Salone di Diana, Galleria Grande, Scuderie Juvarriane, Potager Royal, Palazzo Madama; 17th century, UNESCO World Heritage), La Mandria Nature Park and Castle (18th century), Piazza dell’Annunziata.

HOSTOPY
Population: 34,000
Foundation: Roman age
Ancient name: Altessano

7-4.jpg

Reason enough to visit?
gianduiotto-dessert-limited-edition-caffarel-gelati-pepino-torino.jpg

BARDONECCHIA

Bardonecchia, in the province of Turin, is at an altitude of 1,312 m, in a large basin where four valleys converge: the valleys of Rochemolles, Frejus, Rho and Melezet with the Valle Stretta. The basin of Bardonecchia opens up in the middle of a wide amphitheatre of fairly high peaks (many over 3,000 m high, maximum altitude: 3,505), and their respective homonimous streams flow from the four valleys.
MAIN SIGHTS
Parrocchiale di Sant’Ippolito, Civic Museum, the mediaeval frescoes of Notre Dame du Coignet (Les Arnaud) and San Sisto (Pian del Colle), Museo d’Arte Sacra (Museum of Sacred Art) in Melezet, Chiesa di San Pietro (Rochemolles).

HISTORY
Population: 3,300
Foundation: Roman age
Historic names: Bardonecia (Piedmontese), Bardonescha (Occitan), Bardonnèche (French)

Bardonecchia_3.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    The unpaved stuff climbing isn't going to help Yates, is it?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    For me this is the queen stage. Beautiful.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Anyone getting dropped on Sestriere is going to have major problems in that valley before the final climb. Given that he's had trouble following accelerations it would serve Froome well to make his own move there.

Anyone wanting to damage Yates needs to reduce his team on the Finistere
    Reason enough to visit?
    A Nutella Choc Ice?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    Anyone getting dropped on Sestriere is going to have major problems in that valley before the final climb. Given that he's had trouble following accelerations it would serve Froome well to make his own move there.

Anyone wanting to damage Yates needs to reduce his team on the Finistere
    Reason enough to visit?
    A Nutella Choc Ice?

Mucho famous innit?

Gianduiotti-986x400.jpg
  • blazing_saddles
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    The unpaved stuff climbing isn't going to help Yates, is it?

Should not be a problem.

20-Finestre-RTRVH6G-2005.jpg

Rujano would fit into Yate's back pocket.

They put 2 minutes into their "big guy" on Finestre, as this image shows.

foto1.jpg

:lol:
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    These threads keep making me hungry
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I hope I'm wrong but this doesn't look like the kind of stage you'd want to follow a bad day ! Does someone try and get away early in the stage in a do or die attack or do they leave it to the last climb ? The initial climb should suit climbing domestiques trying to get up the road so the possibilities are there for someone to launch a long one and there should be the likes of Aru going early for the stage win as he's got naff all chance of winning if he leaves it late.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    That stage with Rujano was wonderful. Absolutely bonkers. Even had some outrageous cheques being written to teams not remotely in the hunt.

Was all there.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    They've been clearing snow on the Colle delle Finestre the last days

33248884_861330790731967_4675088093722705920_o.jpg?itok=2svVd0fx

Colle-delle-Finestre_05_2018-1024x768.jpg

image.jpg

and the road was closed today due to the avalanche risk !

A heads up for the small town of Susa at the base of the col and at the start of the climb to the Col de Mont Cenis. I was there earlier in the week and the whole town was out putting up decorations. The town has roman remains
    260px-Arco_di_Augusto-Susa.jpg

porta-savoia.jpg

aqueduc-susa-romain-hdr-photos-sous-licence_csp43536335.jpg
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • blazing_saddles
    Those photos of Susa would come in handy for tomorrow's thread, cos there is definitely a heads up coming then.
    I've crossed the Col du Mont Cenis on numerous occasions.
    Many fond memories of Susa.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Good thread start this one, thanks
  • Epic looking stage, can’t wait!
  • blazing_saddles
    More outrageous pictures from the Finestre.

https://imgur.com/a/QmSkziO#Zcv1T9f

Previous editions never had it so good!

Also, there has been a late change in the course. It's the A 32 bit.

T19_Bardonecchia_ALT_zoom.jpg
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Oh God, I think I'm coming down with something that's going to keep me off work...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited May 2018
    This stage is super exciting!

My hilly cycling neck of the woods this. I fully intend to tackle the Finestre from the north side this summer. Only done it from the south side.

For some non-cycling (and cow and horse) related stuff relating to Bardonecchia and the nearby Col de L'Échelle see this on its place in the refugee route between Italy and France (a major research interest of mine as some of you know).

"Dodging Death Along the Alpine Migrant Passage"

https://www.newsdeeply.com/refugees/articles/2018/01/25/dodging-death-along-the-alpine-migrant-passage

AFP_WI3DZ1.jpg?w=640&fit=max&q=60

860_cordee_1.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    Oh God, I think I'm coming down with something that's going to keep me off work...
    I have the joy of having three months off on full salary before going to my new job
  • above_the_cows
    I see they are coming down the SP215 from Sestriere, not the SP23R, not that it matters, just thought I'd mention it.
  • above_the_cows
    20-Finestre-RTRVH6G-2005.jpg

Dude in green needs a bike fit.
  • RichN95.
    They could get to the top of Finistere with only about a dozen riders in the GC group (perhaps less) with 65km to go
  • RichN95 wrote:
    They could get to the top of Finistere with only about a dozen riders in the GC group (perhaps less) with 65km to go
    ...and still have another 2 climbs to go :shock: :mrgreen:
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,641
    The Finestre stage in 2005 is when I truly, madly, deeply fell in love with cycling.

I'd watched the majority of that Giro and that stage was just incredible.

This is one of those mad Giro stages where anything could happen, but my guess is that it will all come down to the Jafferau, as no one will be brave enough to take it up on the Finestre and Sestriere is too easy that early in the race
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:

Yep, and I think that's why Sky, Astana, Bahrain, and MS (I don't think Sunweb are strong enough) will have decent helpers in the early breakaway.

If Yates really is feeling previous efforts in his legs then it's quite possible he gets gapped on the Finestre.
  • blazing_saddles
    Whatever happens, it will be interesting to observe the forum dynamic.
    Already I see subtle changes since yesterday.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Prey tell Blazing
  • davidof
    Anyone got the timings for when the race starts the Finestre ? I was thinking around 14h00 but couldn't find the timings on the Giro website.
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    The Finestre must have the most consistent gradient I've ever seen on an Alpine climb. I'm hoping I get to my hotel in the IoW in time to watch otherwise my data allowance may get a hammering!
  • blazing_saddles
    davidof wrote:
    Anyone got the timings for when the race starts the Finestre ? I was thinking around 14h00 but couldn't find the timings on the Giro website.

Allowing for the probability of them being ahead of schedule, your guess, if you meant CET, is a good one.
    Anyhow, race schedule here.

http://www.steephill.tv/2018/giro-d-ita ... ble-19.pdf
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    Pross wrote:
    The Finestre must have the most consistent gradient I've ever seen on an Alpine climb. I'm hoping I get to my hotel in the IoW in time to watch otherwise my data allowance may get a hammering!
    Is this a euphemism for being in prison?
  • davidof
    davidof wrote:

Allowing for the probability of them being ahead of schedule, your guess, if you meant CET, is a good one.
    Anyhow, race schedule here.

http://www.steephill.tv/2018/giro-d-ita ... ble-19.pdf

Thanks Blazing :-)
    Instagramme
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    edited May 2018
    They actually mentioned the Giro on radio 4 this morning. Said they'd been following the exploits of SEAN Yates