Tour route 2018

12345679»

Comments

• ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    ag2r have got a guy on the podium for 3 tours running.

its not luck... you dont develop that sort of record by accident. those claiming that 2015 was a lottery due to Contador and Froome crashing out need to understand you need to grasp opportunity when it occurs. which is class in its self.

a very young Bardet got over the cobbles in the wet when nibs won in 2015 and finished 9th when he faded in the third.

he has what it takes to be a contender and after this year I suspect his TT will improve as will the teams ttt.https://www.hln.be/sport/time-out/van-e ... ~a42ce97c/

Ag2r come to the tour with game.

Not sure if it helps your argument or not but:

Nibs won in 2014, with some decent cobbled sections (Bardet 6th overall, JC Péraud 2nd overall for AG2R)
    2015 very limited cobbles, Bardet 9th overall & top AG2R
    2016 Bardet 2nd overall - consistency then attacking on last descent
    2017 Bardet 3rd overall - most consistent performance (for me), even if lower

3 out of 4 ain't bad (for AG2R), and Bardet is improving- this is my fence, get your own.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    ag2r have got a guy on the podium for 3 tours running.

its not luck... you dont develop that sort of record by accident. those claiming that 2015 was a lottery due to Contador and Froome crashing out need to understand you need to grasp opportunity when it occurs. which is class in its self.

a very young Bardet got over the cobbles in the wet when nibs won in 2015 and finished 9th when he faded in the third.

he has what it takes to be a contender and after this year I suspect his TT will improve as will the teams ttt.https://www.hln.be/sport/time-out/van-e ... ~a42ce97c/

Ag2r come to the tour with game.

Not sure if it helps your argument or not but:

Nibs won in 2014, with some decent cobbled sections (Bardet 6th overall, JC Péraud 2nd overall for AG2R)
    2015 very limited cobbles, Bardet 9th overall & top AG2R
    2016 Bardet 2nd overall - consistency then attacking on last descent
    2017 Bardet 3rd overall - most consistent performance (for me), even if lower

3 out of 4 ain't bad (for AG2R), and Bardet is improving- this is my fence, get your own.

2014 was it? I got 2015 mixed up my bad...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Having had a chance to look at it, this feels like a route ideally suited for Nibs.

Unfortunately he's just not good enough to win. I think his Tour window has closed.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Timoid. wrote:
    Having had a chance to look at it, this feels like a route ideally suited for Nibs.

Unfortunately he's just not good enough to win. I think his Tour window has closed.
    How can it be ideally suited for him if he's not good enough? Suited to another time in his career? I'm confused.
    I think he could do well, not sure his team is up to it.
  • He's only 33 when the Tour comes round, and came 2nd and 3rd in Grand Tours this year. I think he's got a great chance. The way he rode away in Il Lombardia was majestic.
  • I have a real hunch Froome won't win the Tour.

I might even update my signature with it to demonstrate how strongly I feel about.

I think we will see a break through rider win the race and see off the Froome, Porte, Quintana mob.

Kelderman, Benoot, Roglic... those sorts of names.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    inseine wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

How can it be ideally suited for him if he's not good enough? Suited to another time in his career? I'm confused.

Simple. I think that it is ideally suited to his characterstics as a rider. But even with such a route, I think he is past his peak, so will not be able to capitalise. He has a good chance of a podium though.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Timoid. wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Simple. I think that it is ideally suited to his characterstics as a rider. But even with such a route, I think he is past his peak, so will not be able to capitalise. He has a good chance of a podium though.
    That makes sense. He's often a thereabouts kinda guy who can move up if conditions allow. He could definitely win but probably won't.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    Rode up and over the Plateau de Glieres today. It is no Strada Bianchi at the moment - more a pot holed cart track. I don't know if they plan work on the road but if they don't it could be bike terminating. Then it is a matter of having your team car close by on very narrow roads.

The climb is steep with long sections > 15%. Not Froome's cup of tea but too early in the race to matter. The descent is technical but nowhere near as bad as le Chat that caused problems this year.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    This unseasonably warm weather is messing with my inner cycling calendar.

Keep thinking the Tour is on the horizon. Not even done the Giro yet!
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892

I'm sure the rain will return in time for the Giro.
  • phreak wrote:

I'm sure the rain will return in time for the Giro.

or snow...

manualforspeed_girostage20-49.jpg
  • Love this photo
    snow-WATSON_00003373-027.jpg
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Any idea when they publish the detailed route? We're off to see a stage - ideally by bike - would love to start the planning ...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Have y'all seen the video of them blasting snow off the Stelvio? I think it was on fb but I can't find the one...

Put a downer on my ski-touring season this year...

Edit - there's the puppy - https://twitter.com/severeweatherEU/sta ... 9182563335
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Slowbike wrote:
    Any idea when they publish the detailed route? We're off to see a stage - ideally by bike - would love to start the planning ...

You might want to wait a while as it's usually revealed mid-June.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Slowbike wrote:

ok ta ...

never mind - we're already booked for travel & accommodation - so we know roughly where we're going - just with a little man to tow behind me I wanted to look at the route options for getting to see it by bike. I'll have to wait a while then
  • Slowbike wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

ok ta ...

never mind - we're already booked for travel & accommodation - so we know roughly where we're going - just with a little man to tow behind me I wanted to look at the route options for getting to see it by bike. I'll have to wait a while then

So Sam Dumoulin WILL get a ride in France in July after all?!
  • Hi All

can anyone advise what is usual start time for a stage ? - I'm trying to work out if it's possible to see start of stage 9 in Arras and then ride 110kms back to Calais to get the 1850 ferry home

also, is start of a stage a good place to watch ? - Obviously no racing going on but is that compensated for by the pre-race goings on ?

Many thanks

Dave L
  • mididoctors
    Hi All

can anyone advise what is usual start time for a stage ? - I'm trying to work out if it's possible to see start of stage 9 in Arras and then ride 110kms back to Calais to get the 1850 ferry home

also, is start of a stage a good place to watch ? - Obviously no racing going on but is that compensated for by the pre-race goings on ?

Many thanks

Dave L

check the the letour iterneries (*may not be published yet) roughly mid day to 1pm local

. its french flat ie tougher than expected endless rollers but not overly hard
    the main road has heavy truck traffic and isn't my fav ride of all time. watching a stage start in the tour is pretty meh! watching the stage start at tour of yorkshire or the 3 days of de panne is better (smaller races).
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    24 secs?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    No idea on the feasibility of your plan but I always used to really enjoy the start. Great opportunities to get close to the riders. Haven't been for 5 or 6 years so maybe security is a little tighter these days?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet