Online French Bike routes

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited May 2018 in Tour & expedition
Best place to see French Bike routes (do they exist?) online?

tia

Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,675
    Try this for starters. Found this site useful for planning cycling holidays.

https://en.francevelotourisme.com/en
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,865
    Slowbike wrote:
    Best place to see French Bike routes (do they exist?) online?

tia
    Anywhere in particular, or general browsing?
  • slowbike
    Britanny - Carnac region.
  • slowbike
    orraloon wrote:
    Try this for starters. Found this site useful for planning cycling holidays.

https://en.francevelotourisme.com/en

ta - it's not a cycling holiday - it's a holiday in which we'll do some cycling ... with a 3yo you can't ride that far - 10 possibly 20 miles max in a day.
  • briantrumpet
    Slowbike wrote:
    Britanny - Carnac region.
    Aha. TBH, I think a decent map, and simply choosing wiggly D roads that go through villages, is going to be your best bet, given your circumstances. Maybe also worth emailing the Carnac Office de Tourisme https://www.facebook.com/CarnacTourisme/ to see if they've got an online or pdf map of family-friendly rides.

I've found the IGN Top100 maps the best for cycling in France - enough detail to see elevation etc. but not such a large scale you need more than one map.
  • slowbike
    ta

We've got a map of the area which does show some cycle trails - so hoping that will do - although I prefer working online - Google maps doesn't give enough... hmm - I wonder if Open Street Maps has got anything ... :)
  • briantrumpet
    Slowbike wrote:
    ta

We've got a map of the area which does show some cycle trails - so hoping that will do - although I prefer working online - Google maps doesn't give enough... hmm - I wonder if Open Street Maps has got anything ... :)
    If you go onto RidewithGPS and use the OSM Cycle map, yes, cycle routes shown in blue.

Each to his own... I just love poring over paper maps and planning routes.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    When are you going? We're planning the velodysse route from Roscoff with a 5 year old. Passing through a bit east of your area. Probably first two weeks in August.

BTW that route is supposed to be mostly car free routes like canal / River paths, green routes, etc. It sounds like there's quite a few such routes on that velodysse. IIRC about 80%. There's a website with downloadable GPS routes. Various formats including the GPX format. I've found out that viewranger on my phone can import that route onto its free maps, but I found I kept losing them and having to re-import them from the download file.
  • slowbike
    When are you going?
    Outside school holidays as we're not restricted yet! :)
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:
    ta

If you go onto RidewithGPS and use the OSM Cycle map, yes, cycle routes shown in blue.

Each to his own... I just love poring over paper maps and planning routes.

I don't mind poring over paper maps - I love nautical charts - just trying to find something with the detail I'd need without spending a fortune and it's easier on a large screen to plot something online.
  • tangled_metal
    Slowbike wrote:
    When are you going?
    Outside school holidays as we're not restricted yet! :)
    Rub it in why don't you. Holidays are becoming more expensive now Jr is in school. Plus ferry bookings get taken up sooner. Enjoy it for another year, while you can. Your child will be at school next September I think if they're 3 this year. Your last year of cheap bookings.

Mind you my son's school don't charge for taking them out in term time. He's got 100% and 98% attendance so far so we could take two weeks out and still beat the 90% attendance requirement. It's only spring term they have an issue with absence. They take a view on it in other terms. Our son is doing well enough I doubt they'd bat an eyelid about an early holiday. His classmate is on holiday right now I believe.
  • slowbike
    Ah - it is nice - being able to go away when we want ... this time to see TdF (again)

Although - as he moved from Nursery to Pre-school - we have the school holiday child care to arrange ... aaaghh!

Why is Spring a problem and not the other terms? Ok - Spring term usually means a skiing trip - but surely, unless they're doing exams a week out of school doing physical stuff should be ok?! better than a week abroad sitting on a beach.
  • tangled_metal
    No idea why spring term is different.