Dave Quinn & Raleigh Winner

grant2307
grant2307 Posts: 135
edited May 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi Guys.

Over the last couple of weeks I have picked up a couple of bikes. N+1.

Firstly I picked up a Raleigh Winner for £12.50 on ebay and was 3 miles away for collection in person. This will now be my bike that I can leave locked up for when I ride anywhere in London, save me getting buses or an Uber where possible.

41348462525_7bfa5e6f3f_c.jpg

Will hopefully change over to 700C wheels that I have laying around and stick on some new tyres & tubes, service the bike & find some new brake calipers. Clean it and remove reflectors & hangers etc. The plan is to go 1 X on the front also.

I also picked up from Ebay a 531 Competition steel Dave Quinn frame with 531 steel forks. Came with 700C wheels & bars.

The plan for this is a deep clean and single speed conversion. More than likely keep the drop bars on this also, more thank likely stick new wheels on this and hopefully have it ready for summer.

42249865731_b65bb77a89_c.jpg

Will get some photos once I start cleaning and get some parts on either.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Raleigh rocks - please don't take anything off it - especially the back light.

Deep scrub, new cables, tyres, brake pads sorted. So cool it will make hipsters (hopefully) die.

The Dave is crying out for a deep clean, massive polishing sesh and some deep rims - black bars, tape, wheels, tan walls, black seat post and saddle will make those colours pop.

Het to both purchases.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Oh - as an aside - wtf is going on with the Raleigh's chain?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • grant2307
    Raleigh rocks - please don't take anything off it - especially the back light.

Deep scrub, new cables, tyres, brake pads sorted. So cool it will make hipsters (hopefully) die.

The Dave is crying out for a deep clean, massive polishing sesh and some deep rims - black bars, tape, wheels, tan walls, black seat post and saddle will make those colours pop.

Het to both purchases.

I'm going to see if I can get the rear light to work, shouldn't be to difficult it seems in good condition.

But I do want to change the gears on it.

Apart from that it will just be cleaned and serviced.

You are on my wavelength with the DQ too, I'm going to transfer my s works power saddle from my Trek Road bike to the Dave Quinn and get a nice seat post to match etc.
  • grant2307
    Would like some advice on new brake calipers for the Raleigh also
  • Matthewfalle
    Ii'd go Tektro for the brakes - work well and good value - and team up with some new levers from SJS or Olanet X or similar to match pull ratios.

With cables should be less than £40 all in means that you have new pads as well which would probably cost £10 by themselves.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Note that you may long drop calipers for the Raleigh - just order both short and long and return the Ines that you don't use.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.