How to get these headset bearings out (without breaking them)

heyitsroth
heyitsroth Posts: 2
edited May 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Vodoo Marasa 2018 with a rusty lower cartridge bearing that I want to clean and regrease, but I can't get it out of the frame. The product page says it has semi integrated headset, which apparently should just lift out of the frame? But mine definitely don't.

The bike is only a few months old and I think water got in due to a missing rubber part in the seal, so I'm hoping to reuse the bearings. For this reason I've tried no more than gently tapping with a screwdriver

Picture:

IMG_0089.jpg

Should I be trying to remove the cup and then the bearing? I was thinking of trying something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkY879pMafE

Comments

• 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    If it's only a few months old take it back to the shop.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    And get them to show you how to remove the headset bearings for future reference.

If it's a sealed cartridge bearing and the seal's not effective I'd be wanting them to replace the whole thing with something better.

The headset bearings on my 2 road bikes are drop-in integrated or semi integrated types, and the originals are still silky smooth and corrosion free after 5 and 11 years respectively
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    Unfortunately they very rarely just drop out.

Most bike shops will use a tool like this:

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Ice-Toolz-Head ... _37720.htm

They can need a bit of tlc, although some would say knock them out with a ghetto set-up.

Ditto what has been said about taking it back as it shouldn't really be like that (unless you've been jet washing the bike).

I'm not a big fan of re-greasing bearings but it's a personal choice.
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If they fall apart getting them out they need replacing anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Aren't semi intergrated headsets bearings that sit it cups pressed into the headtube?

if you can knock one out and get a bearing number or code off it you can just buy some replacement cartridge bearings.

I've had them rust up before because they wasn't sealed and not stainless type
  • keef66
    Yep, semi integrated are as you describe, and integrated just drop straight into a recess in the headtube. I've got both, but in each case the sealed cartridge bearings just drop out.

I have heard of some headsets using circlips to retain bearings, but never encountered one myself.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    From photo it looks like cup is pressed into frame and bearing sits in the cup, it should be tapped out without too much force.

Try some penetrating fluid between bearing and cup, it's probably a bit of rust holding it in
  • It is retained with a circlip, you can see the ends at 7 o'clock, should be a matter of levering that out and the bearing will follow, possibly.
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    I'm not seeing a circlip in the photo but that may well be the case.
  • keef66
    Why can't I see the photo??? Is it because I'm at work I wonder. Hang on, I'll try the iPhone
  • keef66
    Why can't I see the photo??? Is it because I'm at work I wonder. Hang on, I'll try the iPhone

OK, that worked, but I'm none the wiser. Don't think I can see a circlip. Think you just need to get something sharp under the bearing to prise it out.

Failing that, whack out the cup plus bearing from the other end and replace both
  • bobbydigital
    bobbydigital Posts: 254
    Isn't the crown race stuck on the bearing in that picture?

Before I bought the proper tool I would use a extension bar with a socket on the end and hammer time.
    You will hit the cup and with enough force they will pop out but if you're not sure don't do it :D

I'm guessing it's a cup a cone bearing type, if so just damage them and buy new ones as replacements if needed, they are like £2.