OT: Orthodontic treatment for kids

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2018 in Commuting chat
Hello all

The dynamic duo, my twins now aged 12, have gone to the Orthodontist.

Twin 1 needs extractions x2 plus braces for 18 months, for which the NHS will pay

Twin 2 could do with braces, 18 months again, but doesn't qualify - slight overbite and some crooked teeth

The issue is, for Twin 2, how much are we likely to be looking at, money-wise? Dr Driller-Killer is going to send us a quote, but forewarned...

Any happy tales would be appreciated!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• It's a bike, a very nice bike.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Depends. If you get a European outfit to do Invisalign instead of the branded equivalent, it may be just a very nice commuter.

(Edit to add: I was quoted a massive Invisalign quote, asked the dentist if cheaper options were available and he said they worked with a European company who do exactly the same thing which they recommend for more simple corrections).

So I don't mean you need to go to Poland, just it's a cheaper company who manufactures the plastic gumshields in Eastern Europe. My dentist said it's quite a simple procedure.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    It's a bike, a very nice bike.
    This. Happy bit is our daughter had hers done and it was well worth it. Looking at photos from before and looking at her now is a marked difference.
  • secretsam
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This. Happy bit is our daughter had hers done and it was well worth it. Looking at photos from before and looking at her now is a marked difference.

Curses

I was going to buy a bike, a nice bike. Clearly not.

Bl00dy kids.

• veronese68
    SecretSam wrote:
    Bl00dy kids.
    In so many ways. :lol:
    It hasn't got any easier or cheaper yet and the eldest is about to start uni. It was a bit cheaper when he was off travelling, food bill was halved for a few months with only a 25% reduction in the population of the house.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    SecretSam wrote:

Bl00dy kids.
    I have the worst of both Worlds - daughter has just outgrown the nice bike I built for her 15 months ago (and it was a nice one too!) Thank goodness I saw it coming, and had the next size frameset stashed in the loft. She's 11 years old, and needs a 54cm frame :roll:

And she's still going to be needing the attentions of an orthodontist :cry:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    You have one twin with a nice smile, who is allowed out in public, pretending to be both twins (changes of clothes, nipping out of back doors and then in the front again).

You have a second twin who is not allowed to see the light of day.

You buy your nice bike.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    How come the NHS is discriminating between twins? Does one fail to meet NICE's minimum standards of tooth wonkiness? Mind you, glass half full: I suppose it's better than having to stump up for both of them?

Ours have both survived uni, got jobs, long term girlfriends and finally left home for good. They never had anything orthodontic, and maybe one filling between them, and their teeth were OK when we ceased being responsible for them. Thanks to fluoride toothpaste and my wife's genes. God knows what's happened since.

The house is a lot tidier and our bills have about halved, but I do miss the general chaos of their random comings and goings, their friends, music, festivals and gigs, cars and football, and general laddish banter.

I do seem to have a lot more time and money to spend on bikes though!
  • veronese68
    elbowloh wrote:
    You have one twin with a nice smile, who is allowed out in public, pretending to be both twins (changes of clothes, nipping out of back doors and then in the front again).

You buy your nice bike.
    That’s appalling, truly evil. Well done, I’m impressed. :lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    SecretSam wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Curses

Bl00dy kids.

It's your fault... it's your genes and now you have the moral obligation to fix them. :lol::lol::lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • secretsam
    elbowloh wrote:

You buy your nice bike.

One's a boy, the other a girl.

#FAIL
    keef66 wrote:
    How come the NHS is discriminating between twins? Does one fail to meet NICE's minimum standards of tooth wonkiness? Mind you, glass half full: I suppose it's better than having to stump up for both of them?

See above

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    So not exactly identical then...

Hang on, can't you argue the NHS is discrimination on the basis of gender?
  • veronese68
    I don't think anybody ever said identical. But at 12 you could probably get away with dressing them the same if the had the same haircut. Once the hormones kick in and changes start to happen that could prove more difficult. You certainly would struggle by the time they hit 23 for example.
  • I had the same situation, daughter didn't qualify for NHS treatment but teeth were wonky enough to make her self-conscious. It was around £1300 I think.
    Didn't pay the extra for white braces. That got the train tracks top & bottom for I think 18 months, loads of checkups / adjustments, and a retainer to be worn at night after that.
    That's where we are now, still wearing that retainer and still get checkups.

So, a bike depending on how much you spend on bikes. For me that's more than I've ever spent!