Massive pollen and tree dust attack

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited May 2018 in Commuting chat
What is that stuff coming off the trees just now in London - like gritty light-brown dust, it's everywhere, gets in your eyes, your mouth, really unpleasant and for an asthmatic like me, quite nasty :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• frogonabike
    frogonabike Posts: 157
    Agreed! It's the devil!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Plane trees.

This happens every year. Apparently they are good for absorbing pollutants but as you say, bad for allergy sufferers.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Plane trees.

This happens every year. Apparently they are good for absorbing pollutants but as you say, bad for allergy sufferers.

Yeah, I remember it from previous years, seems particularly bad this year, normally wear regular glasses riding in London, considering wrap around cycling shades to keep the cr@p out of my eyes

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Massive amounts of tree spunk all over at the moment. Awful.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Massive amounts of tree spunk all over at the moment. Awful.

The royal parks will literally smell/taste of that very soon!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Massive amounts of tree spunk all over at the moment. Awful.

The royal parks will literally smell/taste of that very soon!

I was expecting a YouTube link to the Mitchell & Webb sketch...
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    I leave my bike on a balcony and it gets covered. Annyoing.

Should get a cover really
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    There are plane trees outside my office and the dander makes me cough my guts up on the ride home. I must look like "all the gear and no idea" coughing my lungs up at the traffic lights. I've not found any way of combating it other than holding my breath for the first mile!
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    condorman wrote:
    There are plane trees outside my office and the dander makes me cough my guts up on the ride home. I must look like "all the gear and no idea" coughing my lungs up at the traffic lights. I've not found any way of combating it other than holding my breath for the first mile!

A black outfit and mask, while practicing your best "Luke, I'm your father" line. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    yeah its been pretty bad this year so far, hoping its just the weather caused everything to blossom at once as it will be painful to go through summer like this,Ive been riding along and my eyes are just streaming and my nose is running, I must look like Im having an emotional paddy or something
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Something's been really irritating my lungs/hay fever, not sure it's plane trees though as I don't think there are that many around here.

It's been snowing at home for the last 2 weeks - fluffy seeds off trees, piling up at the sides of paths. Haven't seen anything like it before so the weather must have made them go crazy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Something's been really irritating my lungs/hay fever, not sure it's plane trees though as I don't think there are that many around here.

It's been snowing at home for the last 2 weeks - fluffy seeds off trees, piling up at the sides of paths. Haven't seen anything like it before so the weather must have made them go crazy.

Poplars.

Crazy season this year; spring arrived very late so everything's been happening super quick. Oilseed rape flowering compressed into 2 or 3 weeks. I've got some early spuds in the greenhouse that grew about 18" last week.

Lucky for me I don't got no allergies. You lot have my sympathy.