Can a 27.5” wheel fit in a 26” Fox Float 32 CTD Evolution

B_The_Biker
B_The_Biker Posts: 36
edited May 2018 in MTB buying advice
I must annoy forum users with these stupid questions but I’m in need of some forum wisdom & advice about my Lapierre Zesty 514 Carbon 2013’s fork. It has 26” wheels but I’m certain a 650b could fit snugly into the front fork, the fork in question is a 150mm travel Fox Float CTD Evolution.
My question in short is;
Has anybody stuck a 27.5” wheel in a Fox Float 32 CTD Evolution 150mm travel fork designed for a 26” wheel or know if it will work, as it looks like it could. 12x142 thru Axle on it aswel if that makes any difference
Thanks

Comments

• B_The_Biker
    P.S. I take it it’s not as easy as just adding 0.75 of an inch to the top and bottom of my current 26” wheel to see the difference?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    12x142 thru Axle on it aswel if that makes any difference

I'm sure that is wrong. That is size of rear axle. Fox and rockshox tend to be 15 x 100 or 15 x 110 (boost).
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It depends on the clearance at the fork bridge.

Why would you want to put a larger wheel on the front though? Even if one fits you will have a bike with odd sized wheels and the associated problem of having to buy different sized tyres. The bike was designed around 26" wheels so just keep it like that.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • B_The_Biker
    02GF74 wrote:
    12x142 thru Axle on it aswel if that makes any difference

I'm sure that is wrong. That is size of rear axle. Fox and rockshox tend to be 15 x 100 or 15 x 110 (boost).

Cool, I seen it on the spec, though it was the front.
    It is a thru axle though not a QR
  • B_The_Biker
    JBA wrote:
    It depends on the clearance at the fork bridge.

Why would you want to put a larger wheel on the front though? Even if one fits you will have a bike with odd sized wheels and the associated problem of having to buy different sized tyres. The bike was designed around 26" wheels so just keep it like that.

Just a personal preference, I’ve done it to 2 other bikes an it gives the B.B. a diff height an makes it a little degree diff to the head angle. I know it’s also ment to stress the frame but i’d try an even it out again by having a 26x2.5 on my rear with (if the conversion works) say a 27.5x2.25 on the front.
    It sounds wrong I know, but then I looked into it an it seems like a lot of people do it
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    P.S. I take it it’s not as easy as just adding 0.75 of an inch to the top and bottom of my current 26” wheel to see the difference?
    0.5”, 27.5 is actually a 27” (using the same measurement basis as a 26” and the ETRTO of the rim is 25mm bigger) it’s called 27.5 to make it look half way between a 26 and a 29, which of course ignores the fact that a 29 is actually 28.5” anyway.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.