Unfair pricing on different clothing sizes

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited May 2018 in Road general
Does anyone who like myself, who tends to wear medium or large cycling clothing, find the price difference of sizes very unfair and frustrating?

Take this product for example:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-tequipe-s7-bib-shorts/

Xsmall and Xlarge are both £50 cheaper than medium. How is that fair? Why should I be penalised for being a "normal" size. In fact yesterday they were also showing small and large in stock all £50 cheaper than medium. I don't see how it can be justified when you consider Xlarge will obviously cost more to manufacture due to more materials being used.

It's not the only example you'll find, there are countless examples where those that wear the standard sizes have to pay more than those on the extremities of each end.

I saw in the news last week that a clothing retailer hit the headlines for charging more for their very large sized clothes. Personally don't see a problem with this - they cost more to make so why not charge more?

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Supply and demand.
    The cheaper stuff you want is usually on sale as they can’t sell it. The other story is justified by larger sizes requiring more material.
    Life isn’t fair. Plan A, accept it or be miserable. Plan B, lose a lot of weight or ear more pies. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    In cycling the largest, smallest and women’s tend to be cheapest as they are often on sale.
  • dstev55
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Supply and demand.
    The cheaper stuff you want is usually on sale as they can’t sell it. The other story is justified by larger sizes requiring more material.
    Life isn’t fair. Plan A, accept it or be miserable. Plan B, lose a lot of weight or ear more pies. :wink:

I'm hardly miserable about it but surely they should start and get better at the supply and demand side of things. I mean every year it's the same, why not just order the correct amount of each size...
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Having worked selling non cycling sporting clothing I can assure you they we do try and get it right. It isn't in our interest to have to discount things.

But we do have to have items, and a choice of items, at the extreme ends of the size range to avoid complaints that we do not cater for certain body types. Unfortunately these are the ones that frequently fail to sell.
  • pblakeney
    dstev55 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Supply and demand.

I'm hardly miserable about it but surely they should start and get better at the supply and demand side of things. I mean every year it's the same, why not just order the correct amount of each size...
    That would simply result in less sale items, not cheaper prices.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    dstev55 wrote:

I saw in the news last week that a clothing retailer hit the headlines for charging more for their very large sized clothes. Personally don't see a problem with this - they cost more to make so why not charge more?

So you don't mind fatties paying more as there is more material, but you don't like shorties paying less as there's less material? :roll:
    I find not being taller unfair and frustrating as it is hard to find clothes, and shoes especially, to fit.
    But luckily it costs a bit less to be a short ar*e, so it's swings and roundabouts. :wink:
  • dstev55
    Pituophis wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:

So you don't mind fatties paying more as there is more material, but you don't like shorties paying less as there's less material? :roll:
    I find not being taller unfair and frustrating as it is hard to find clothes, and shoes especially, to fit.
    But luckily it costs a bit less to be a short ar*e, so it's swings and roundabouts. :wink:

I didn't say that I don't mind short people paying less as there's less material. It should be all or nothing though. Either charge the same over all sizes including sales or step pricing over the sizes permanently.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Economics 101
  • dstev55 wrote:
    Why should I be penalised for being a "normal" size.
    Don't see it as you being penalised, view it as others getting a discount. Be happy for them, rather than angry about yourself. It's basic supply and demand economics.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Lots of things in life are not fair. Ryanair quibbled about the weight of our hand baggage when the big fat guy who was in front of us weighed more than my wife ,me and our baggage added together!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Happens fairly often. The ones I the ops post are slightly different as the s7 will be discontinued. These are essentially sale stock now. But the other comments above apply.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    If you don't like it you could always set up an out-sized cyclists clothing store and source the kit yourself. Clearly you have identified a gap in the market and should re-mortgage your house for such a sure-fire thing.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    lesfirth wrote:
    Lots of things in life are not fair. Ryanair quibbled about the weight of our hand baggage when the big fat guy who was in front of us weighed more than my wife ,me and our baggage added together!
    Empty the contents into your pockets. if its still too heavy tie a knot in the ends of a pair of trousers, fill the legs, and wear it as a scarf.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's a free market. There's nothing unfair about it. The only annoying thing is when you think you've found a bargain, only to find that the bargain price only applies to the XXS in dayglo pink which, understandably, they are struggling to shift.

Apart from that, the interweb means it's never been easier to make sure you're not paying over the odds for anything, and it is often possible to pick up genuine bargains. Can't remember the last time I paid full price for anything cycling related.
  • triggmiester
    triggmiester Posts: 197
    Bigger size = More material which should cost more as far as I'm concerned. And the lack of cycle clothing manufacturers not offering XS baffles me sometimes as well
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    It's just sale prices though isnt it ? End of line on those shorts maybe ? 99% of the time all sizes are going to be the same price.

I'd look at other brands if you want cheaper shorts. Plenty of choice out there.
  • dstev55
    Fenix wrote:
    It's just sale prices though isnt it ? End of line on those shorts maybe ? 99% of the time all sizes are going to be the same price.

I'd look at other brands if you want cheaper shorts. Plenty of choice out there.

I don't want cheaper shorts. I just want shorts at the same price that other people can get them!
  • pblakeney
    dstev55 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

I don't want cheaper shorts. I just want shorts at the same price that other people can get them!
    https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Assos/ ... lsrc=aw.ds
    All the same price. Happy now?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dstev55
    PBlakeney wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

I can get them cheaper at Wiggle :lol:
  • pblakeney
    dstev55 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

And back to post #1...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dstev55
    PBlakeney wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

And back to post #1...

Was meant tongue in cheek
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    You know when your head hurts looking at something something has written but you can't find the words to describe what an imbecilic collection of words it is?

Yup, this is one of those times.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dstev55
    You know when your head hurts looking at something something has written but you can't find the words to describe what an imbecilic collection of words it is?

You know when you see someone post something and you think that as per usual, they only posted it to try and be a smart arse?

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Why didn't you buy the shorts when the large was £50 cheaper then ? I can't honestly believe you've bothered posting about this.
  • dstev55
    cougie wrote:
    Why didn't you buy the shorts when the large was £50 cheaper then ? I can't honestly believe you've bothered posting about this.

Because I need a medium?

I think people are generally missing the point I'm trying to make but nevermind.
  • Matthewfalle
    dstev55 wrote:

You know when you see someone post something and you think that as per usual, they only posted it to try and be a smart ars*?

Maybe, maybe not, but at least MF can afford to buy clothes that fit him.

Tbh, its the most ridiculous thing I've heard in ages - shops selling less popular sizing/ranges at a discount to clear stock to enable them to make a profit and keep on trading.

I'm not sure if it was a serious first post or just someone who has utterly no clue at all how the retail system works.

Please don't mortgage your house and open a shop, it'll end badly.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    dstev55 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Because I need a medium?

I think people are generally missing the point I'm trying to make but nevermind.

No they are not.

The point you are trying to make is that you can't understand why shops should sell popular wanted sizes at prices they are making a profit on and selling stuff that they have hassle selling at a cheaper price to clear their stock and still keep in business.

Its simple retail economics.

Basically what you are trying to say is that either you want them to sell the stuff that makes them a profit |(which margin is already being pushed into the ground by people shopping on the internet) at the same price as the stuff that hangs around for ages and they end up selling either at trade or a loss just to clear their stock .

You've never been in retail have you?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    dstev55 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Because I need a medium?

Didn't you say you wear large or medium in your first post ?

I know someone is definitely missing the point...
  • Matthewfalle
    Fenix wrote:
    dstev55 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Because I need a medium?

Didn't you say you wear large or medium in your first post ?

I know someone is definitely missing the point...

i don't think he is missing the point - it looks like he is one of these people who believe his way is the only way and anyone else who does different is wrong and and unjust and unfair and no matter how many times and in different ways people explain it to him re refuses to get it.

every village has one.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    dstev55 wrote:
    I think most people get it. So long as they start at the same price I think it's completely understandable that slower moving sizes are discounted more, that's market forces as others have said.