Advice on daily commuter bike: short distance, rough pavement, gravel path, < 700

dkozel
dkozel Posts: 3
edited May 2018 in Commuting general
Hello,

I've commuted by bike for several years on a Trek 7.2, but unfortunately it's been stolen so I'm shopping around for a replacement. Technology has moved on and I feel I can do a bit better than before. My goad is to have a solid city bike that can take potholes, gravel, some solid packed dirt paths, and feel comfortable.

My wishlist:
Hydraulic disc breaks
Back rack, option of a front rack
Front and rear mud guards or at least mounting points
Generator based lights

The best I've found is the B'Twin Hoprider 900 for £550
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/hoprider-90 ... 05475.html

It's fairly heavy and I don't particularly think I need the front shocks. But it hits all my other wishlist items. Can anyone suggest a similar bike that is under £750 fully kitted?

The Boardman HYB 8.6 also looks very good at £550 as well, but no accessories so probably another £125 to fill those in.
https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/pro ... -grey.html

Pros:
11.2kg (without accessories) vs 19.3kg (with accessories)

Cons? (I don't know what I'm talking about!)
Tektro brakes rather than Shimano
Shimano Acera rather than Alivio/Deore gearset
No hub generator

I'm not overly worried about the gearset difference, the hub generator is a nice to have, and the breaks probably aren't make or break.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How far is your commute? I wouldn't like to ride a 20kg bike very far.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • dkozel
    dkozel Posts: 3
    About 4 km each way. My Trek FX was about 13 kg as loaded and was never a burden. I did rides up to 40 miles with it. I've done 100+ on a Trek 520, also about 13kg bare, but loaded up with well over 10kg of gear, so I'm not super worried about the weight, but there's little arguing that less is better!
  • Kookastu
    Kookastu Posts: 1
    What did you go for in the end? I’m looking the Hoy Shizouka .002 vs Specialized Sirrus Disc 2018 hybrids for my commute. It’s not too far but I will be heading out to rack up some miles at the weekend, just on some light gravel tracks though nothing major.

Did you look at either of these bikes during you search for The One? The various types of brakes, gears and cassettes etc is totally new to me, but hopefully I’ll get some pointers on here

Cheers