Tubeless questions

Rowan404
Rowan404 Posts: 104
edited May 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm going to try going tubeless but am unsure about what is needed. First off is the rims, they look like this https://photos.app.goo.gl/cXJCRXZgfEBbEVim1 and seem to have tubeless rim tape meaning I won't have to buy any? Then there is the tires. They are maxxis high roller 26x2.4 and aren't specifically tubeless ready. Will they just be harder to do or are they incompatible? Lastly is the valves. Can I just cut out a valve from an old tube or do I need tubeless specific valves? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That isn't tubeless tape, it's just rim tape.

The tyres will be fine with sealant.

You need proper valves or Google 'ghetto tubeless'.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Have a look on uberbike you can buy from them a tubeless kit with everything you need rim tape, sealant and tubeless valves etc.

I found it to be quite easy but my wheels are tubeless ready and no need for any rim tape.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Gorilla tape and proper valves from Stans worked well for me on very low end wheels (one set of Mavic crossrides and a set of Decathlon no-name rims).

I tried cutting a valve and the seal just was nowhere near as good as the proper stans ones, which are ridiculously priced for what they are, but very effective in my experience.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)