Getting turn by turn instructions into Wahoo from Plot a Route

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited May 2018 in Road general
I'm doing a sportive next weekend where the routes are available on plot a route.
I use a Wahoo Elemnt and as far as I'm aware, the only way to get turn by turn instructions on here is from Ride With GPS or from Komoot.
I've got a free Ride with GPS account - am I right in thinking that if I import the gpx file into Ride with GPS from plot-a-route that it does not generate a turn by turn route?
And that therefore my only option is to copy the route from plot a route, and effectively plot out a new route on Ride with GPS?
Thanks

Comments

• surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    I have a Elemnt Bolt and all I do is create a route in Ride with GPS on my pc, save it then sync to Bolt over wifi and job done with turn by turn directions.
  • topcattim
    I have a Elemnt Bolt and all I do is create a route in Ride with GPS on my pc, save it then sync to Bolt over wifi and job done with turn by turn directions.
    Thanks. Yes that works for me too, but I'm wondering what happens if you import a route in a gpx file that has been created on another route planning website?
  • surfercyclist
    surfercyclist Posts: 894
    Not sure as not done it but as it's a gpx file then it "should" work. Only way be try it and see.
  • Worth searching the ridewithgps site for the route as someone else may have plotted it. I think you can search for rides starting in a certain place which may help you find it. Otherwise yes, you'll have to plot it yourself
  • topcattim
    Worth searching the ridewithgps site for the route as someone else may have plotted it. I think you can search for rides starting in a certain place which may help you find it. Otherwise yes, you'll have to plot it yourself
    Good tip! Have found copies (for the Tour of Wessex next weekend) but it turns out that there's no cuesheet attached for the turn by turns, so I'm going to have to route it myself. Shame, but not a massive problem.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    topcattim wrote:
    I'm doing a sportive next weekend where the routes are available on plot a route.
    I use a Wahoo Elemnt and as far as I'm aware, the only way to get turn by turn instructions on here is from Ride With GPS or from Komoot.
    I've got a free Ride with GPS account - am I right in thinking that if I import the gpx file into Ride with GPS from plot-a-route that it does not generate a turn by turn route?
    You can always import the route and manually add the various cue points you want that provide the turn notifications on the Wahoo. You don't have to start from scratch.
  • manglier
    manglier Posts: 1,208
    You can import a .gpx file and convert it using the trace function within RideWithGPS. There is a how to video within the app on how it's done.
  • topcattim
    Manglier wrote:
    You can import a .gpx file and convert it using the trace function within RideWithGPS. There is a how to video within the app on how it's done.
    Thanks - I think I have to have a basic (i.e. paid for) account to do that. I haven't yet got that - am subscribing to Training Peaks, VeloViewer at the moment but may sign up for RideWithGPS as well in the longer term.
    wongataa wrote:
    topcattim wrote:
    You can always import the route and manually add the various cue points you want that provide the turn notifications on the Wahoo. You don't have to start from scratch.
    Do you know if I need a Basic account for that too? I can't work out how to do that within my free account.
  • JakeJ
    JakeJ Posts: 151
    The only time I've used turn by turn on my Wahoo bolt is when the ride has been created on strava, I then save or star that route, it then syncs to the Bolt and away I go.

Turn by turn might be a bit of a strong phrase for it though, it highlights the route on the screen, it doesn't beep or flash or whatever if a turning is coming up. The only time it beeps and flashes is if you take a wrong turn or go the wrong way.

There's probably a load of settings regarding the turn by turn instruction but it's not a function I use so hasn't bothered me.
  • topcattim
    JakeJ wrote:
    The only time I've used turn by turn on my Wahoo bolt is when the ride has been created on strava, I then save or star that route, it then syncs to the Bolt and away I go.

Turn by turn might be a bit of a strong phrase for it though, it highlights the route on the screen, it doesn't beep or flash or whatever if a turning is coming up. The only time it beeps and flashes is if you take a wrong turn or go the wrong way.

There's probably a load of settings regarding the turn by turn instruction but it's not a function I use so hasn't bothered me.

That's because Strava doesn't support Turn by Turn (TBT) in Wahoo. It only works if you plan routes on Ride with GPS or Komoot. That's why I switched from route planning in Strava to Ride with GPS. The TBT function works fine in Elemnt, a warning of route change flashes up on screen along with a beep. It also beeps and flashes if you take a wrong turn but from what you say, that seems to be a function of going off route than of having TBT.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    topcattim wrote:
    Manglier wrote:
    Thanks - I think I have to have a basic (i.e. paid for) account to do that. I haven't yet got that - am subscribing to Training Peaks, VeloViewer at the moment but may sign up for RideWithGPS as well in the longer term.
    wongataa wrote:
    topcattim wrote:
    Do you know if I need a Basic account for that too? I can't work out how to do that within my free account.
    There is an option on the RH side of the screen called 'Add to Cuesheet' and if you select that you just click on the route where you want a new cue point. I have a paid account so I am not exactly sure what you have in the free version.
  • topcattim
    wongataa wrote:
    topcattim wrote:
    Manglier wrote:
    wongataa wrote:
    topcattim wrote:
    There is an option on the RH side of the screen called 'Add to Cuesheet' and if you select that you just click on the route where you want a new cue point. I have a paid account so I am not exactly sure what you have in the free version.
    Yeah, looks as though that's not an option in free version. Not to worry, have mapped it all now - anybody in the same position as me (i.e. looking for Tour of Wessex short routes for this weekend) can search Ride with GPS and use mine!
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    the 'Add to cuesheet' thing is really handy. You can put any little reminder in, you can put a note in to say your starting a big climb, or that the town your rolling into is the last for X miles etc. It's good. I like it.