What frame bearings?

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited May 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Having ridden through the winter my 9 month old Jeffsy now needs new frame bearings :roll:

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’m going to have to replace them after each winter (to be fair Bike gets a lot of use) so is it worth paying the extra to get the Enduro Max or just buy the cheaper bearings?

I can’t really see the point of paying more as I don’t think they will last more than one winter?

Any thoughts?

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    As I minimum I recommend fitting stainless steel bearing.

You are aware that the seal can be prised way using for example a tiny jewellers screwdriver.
    The old grease and dirt can be flushed out with solvent eg white spirit, repackaged with grease before refitting the seal.

Unless the bearings are badly pitted, that usually buys more time.

I worry, perhaps unnecessarily, that repeated removal and pressing in of bearings wears the recess so eventually the bearing becomes loose.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Get some good quality stainless bearings otherwise if you can afford the enduro bearings go for them.

Also try some good grease over the seals once new bearings fitted, I use Mobil Xhp 222 grease on everything that requires grease on my bike sticky but lasts ages over the bike shop stuff.