Power2max doesn’t line up with chain catcher pin...

norvernrob
norvernrob Posts: 1,447
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Evening all

So I’ve just treated myself to a Power2max Type S and a Force 22 crankset. I’ve just started to fit it and hit an immediate issue - the chain catcher pin doesn’t line up with the crank arm, it’s either to the left or right. It’s a SRAM specific PM so should obviously be a straight fitment, but the bolt holes in the P2M spider are obviously in different places to the original.

I’ll email P2M support but has anyone else had the same issue, surely it can’t be right. :?

Photo%2018-05-2018%2C%2020%2016%2053.jpg?raw=1

Comments

• sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    The link below shows D.C. rainmaker just using 4 bolts and completely ignoring the pin, although he is just testing not keeping it. In the comments someone does ask about it.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/07/power2max-ng-power-meter-in-depth-review.html
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Evening all

So I’ve just treated myself to a Power2max Type S and a Force 22 crankset. I’ve just started to fit it and hit an immediate issue - the chain catcher pin doesn’t line up with the crank arm, it’s either to the left or right. It’s a SRAM specific PM so should obviously be a straight fitment, but the bolt holes in the P2M spider are obviously in different places to the original.

I’ll email P2M support but has anyone else had the same issue, surely it can’t be right. :?

You must have been using a hidden bolt set of cranks? If you look directly across from the chain pin, you'll see there's a little rubber grommet. You need to pop that out and the pin and switch them around. Its a job easily done with a drift/nail and rubber mallet. Once you've switched them, the pin should be in the right place.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • norvernrob
    philthy3 wrote:
    NorvernRob wrote:
    Evening all

You must have been using a hidden bolt set of cranks? If you look directly across from the chain pin, you'll see there's a little rubber grommet. You need to pop that out and the pin and switch them around. Its a job easily done with a drift/nail and rubber mallet. Once you've switched them, the pin should be in the right place.

Yes I am, thanks! There’s nothing about that in the manual, I’m at work at the moment but will have a look when I get home. :D
  • norvernrob
    Nice one Philthy! 2 minute job to switch the pin over and it’s all gone together nice and easily. :D

Photo%2019-05-2018%2C%2014%2007%2043.jpg?raw=1