Opportunity to TT on a motor-racing circuit

BeaconRuth
BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
edited May 2018 in Amateur race
This looks like a very good event - a chance to try a time trial on a traffic-free closed circuit. I know the organiser is going to a lot of trouble over it and he deserves a big entry. Should be a good environment for children to try riding a time trial, and for novices. Road bikes are welcome equally as TT bikes.

https://www.riderhq.com/events/76276/ra ... ckingham-0

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    More circuits should do this. Castle Combe does it once a week and throws the circuit open from 5.30pm until dusk. Good PR in the local community and no impact to the surface.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    More circuits should do this. Castle Combe does it once a week and throws the circuit open from 5.30pm until dusk. Good PR in the local community and no impact to the surface.

Oulton Park where the TLI Short Circuit Nationals are tomorrow is costing an arm and a leg to run. The TLI Evening crits in June also at Oulton Park are a financial pit to run.

To the Brands Hatch Group its just business - not PR
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    To be honest I think the recognition should go to the volunteer cycling event organisers who go to the trouble of hiring these venues, sometimes at financial risk to their club or cycling association/body. JGSI is right that these cycling events make business sense to the venues because someone is paying to hire them. I'm not certain but I'm fairly sure Castle Coombe is hired and all the events there are arranged by a volunteer cycling enthusiast.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    If simply riding on a race track appeals then Silverstone open the full GP circuit to all every other Tuesday. £5 for adults, children free. Place is big enough for TT or TTT practice in reasonable safety. From 17.30 until it's too dark to see.

http://www.silverstone.co.uk/experience ... ling-club/

And the Bicester Millennium run TTs off the road most Tuesday evenings and specifically cater for younger riders. But I've not been for a year or two so contact them.

http://www.bmcc2000.com

The Rockingham event looks pretty good too.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    I'm not certain but I'm fairly sure Castle Coombe is hired and all the events there are arranged by a volunteer cycling enthusiast.

You may well be right but it must be peanuts to hire because they can’t be using the track for cars at that time and, if you were hiring the track at motorsport rates, the costs would be eye-watering not the couple of quid a head it costs (which probably covers the liability insurance...). In the days that I used to hire circuits for non-competitive use, £10,000 from 9 to 5 was about what you’d expect to pay per day.

The MSV circuits (Brands, Snett, Oulton, Cadwell etc), owned by Jonathan Palmer, are well-run places with good facilities but cheap they aren’t.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH