reviews but not comparisons

yiannism
yiannism Posts: 345
edited May 2018 in Road general
On car magazines other than the typical reviews you can read comparisons between the same class cars, but ive never read something similar to any bicycle site. Why is that? it will be very helpful when we are between

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Honestly, Yiannis, reviews are worth nothing. They all say the same or similar without upsetting the bike manufacturer.

Your best bet is to ride a few different bikes and get a feel for yourself.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Maybe you're not getting the right magazines ? I've seen plenty on test. They tend not to put the good stuff like that online for free though.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Honestly, Yiannis, reviews are worth nothing. They all say the same or similar without upsetting the bike manufacturer.

This, exactly.

A Shimano groupset is a Shimano groupset no matter what bike it's. Same goes for saddles, bars, etc. Frames and forks - so long as they are not utterly rubbish and fall apart - are very personal.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Strikes me that bikes are pretty much now where cars are - nobody is making any obviously bad ones any more, the only major differences are in the little details, which pretty much boils down to individual preferences.

So yeah, go stroke a few in a shop, have a test ride, then buy the red one coz thats the fastest colour :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you want to read the same old tripe repeated ad-nauseam, wade through the Bike of the Year awards. They take a bunch of bikes of simlar price and spec and ride them about for a bit. They slag off skinny tyres and budget wheels, suggesting you need to replace them immediately, then tell you the frames are laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

Ultimately you want a bike that's the right size, you feel comfortable riding, and which you like the look of. No point in having a bike unless it produces a slight stirring in the trouser department when you gaze upon and caress it.
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Well ive bought 4 bikes in my cycling life, and i was able to test ride only 2 of them, and it was hard especially on my 1st road bike that i knew nothing other than i should go for an endurance cuz of my bad back, and it was 1 size smaller. My 2nd one its perfect on me, but i was able to chose after ive spend thousand kms on the saddle.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    Ben6899 wrote:

Good advice, but with the direct sales options a lot of people are essentially purchasing blind with only the reviews or comments from random people on forums who either did or didn't choose the same bike to buy. Or just buy the one that looks good in the photos :D
  • pamplemoose
    pamplemoose Posts: 85
    keef66 wrote:
    No point in having a bike unless it produces a slight stirring in the trouser department when you gaze upon and caress it.

This cannot be stressed enough. I'm a lazy arse by nature, but since buying my dream bike the amount of riding I'm doing has shot up. I could have gone for a well reviewed yet boring looking bike (no offence Canyon owners), but it wouldn't make my heart go all fluttery when I walk past it. :oops: