What wheels do I need?

philcubed
philcubed Posts: 260
edited May 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi, I'm restoring a 1985 Peugeot (see Mon Petit Peugeot Project), I bought some replacement vintage wheels. Knowing nothing about vintage road bikes I assumed the hub width would be the same but it turns out the replacement hubs are slightly too wide for the frame. The existing wheels (are pretty rusty on the rims) have Maillard hubs, do I need replacement wheels with Maillard hubs, or is there some way of identifying what hub size I need. I've tried measuring but it is not very accurate across the hub.
There is only a few mm difference between the with of the Maillard hubs and the Exage hubs of the replacement wheels.

Comments

• menno
    menno Posts: 7
    You need 126mm hubs probably. Even older bikes got 120.
    Now they use 130.

Measuring the frame is easier than measuring the hub.
  • philcubed
    Cheers I'll have a measure.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Can you rebuild th3 existing hubs and just some new spokes and rims laced on?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philcubed
    Can you rebuild th3 existing hubs and just some new spokes and rims laced on?
    Being a tightwad with little time (need this for Eroica in a few weeks), no!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,320
    You can stretch the frame out to fit the new wheels, do it carefully to protect the lovely new finish on your frame. Or just pull the frame apart by hand every time you put the back wheel in, have to do this on my son's bike and it's not really a problem. I just pull the dropouts apart and pull the wheel in with the tips of my fingers, harder to describe than to do it.
    Found the necessary Sheldon Brown article on the subject:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html
  • Matthewfalle
    Veronese68 wrote:
    You can stretch the frame out to fit the new wheels, do it carefully to protect the lovely new finish on your frame. Or just pull the frame apart by hand every time you put the back wheel in, have to do this on my son's bike and it's not really a problem. I just pull the dropouts apart and pull the wheel in with the tips of my fingers, harder to describe than to do it.
    Found the necessary Sheldon Brown article on the subject:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

This. Simple as.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philcubed
    That's great thanks, got the rear wheel in. The front won't go in, so have got my eye on a wheel on eBay, just checking the size out now.
    The rear wheel does not have a skewer. It's an exage fh-hg50 hub. Will any skewer fit this?
  • Matthewfalle
    front should squeeze in using the same technique as the back.

re skewer - just try it. if it works, cool. if it doesn't, come back.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.