Reducing gearing for a tour

Just 4 Fun
Just 4 Fun Posts: 8
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Hi, I'm currently running shimano 501 5800 (11 speed) compact (50/34) 11/32 casset on the rear. I will be doing a tour of Britain next summer, unsupported and want to reduce my gearing. I've looked at subcompact but they seem a bit pricy for an 11speed setup for a potential one off trip and I believe I can't use MTB rings with 501 5800 front mech. Has anyone got any other suggestions that won't cost a fortune?

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    If you want to make gears easier you can get CX chainrings (ultegra grade) but they are about 20-50 quid each.

Also 10 speed should also work - make sure its a Hollowtech compatible chainset.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... -prod70118

(edit - out of stock but you get the idea)

edit again. The more I read, it appears that the answer is no. You will need to go triple at the front basically to get a 30T front small chainring. Probably also need a new LH shifter and front mech,
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just 4 Fun wrote:
    Hi, I'm currently running shimano 501 5800 (11 speed) compact (50/34) 11/32 casset on the rear. I will be doing a tour of Britain next summer, unsupported and want to reduce my gearing. I've looked at subcompact but they seem a bit pricy for an 11speed setup for a potential one off trip and I believe I can't use MTB rings with 501 5800 front mech. Has anyone got any other suggestions that won't cost a fortune?

The HG800 11 speed Ultegra cassette is 11-34 and should work with your rear mech - might need a slight B-screw adjustment.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    You may need to get a longer (1") B Screw while you're shopping (as well as a different chain) but I easily swapped to a 11/34 (I think) with compact rings, albeit 9 speed.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Just 4 Fun
    Thanks for the advice guys. Whichever route I take it's not just going to be a straight swap.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I’ve got a 9speed dura ace triple here with an Xtera rear mech and a big cassette perfect for your needs whip your gear off and replace.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Spa Cycles’ super compact chainset is £65 with a choice of crank length and rings going down as small as 40/24. Works with 11 speed. Needs a 115mm square taper B/B, for example Stronglight for £11 from Spa.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s109p33 ... cral-Rings
  • Mpercy
    Mpercy Posts: 7
    Svetty wrote:
    Just 4 Fun wrote:

The HG800 11 speed Ultegra cassette is 11-34 and should work with your rear mech - might need a slight B-screw adjustment.

I think you could get away with this if you have a GS rear currently and a bit of tweaking. Gives a 1:1 gear ratio, which is better than my old triple!
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Look for a second hand triple and compatible front mech (if needed) and just use a cheap bar end shifter for the front. Shouldn't have to spend too much and save the parts for your next tour when you get back.
  • Just 4 Fun
    I’ve got a 9speed dura ace triple here with an Xtera rear mech and a big cassette perfect for your needs whip your gear off and replace.

Thanks, how much?
  • Just 4 Fun
    Mpercy wrote:
    Svetty wrote:
    Just 4 Fun wrote:

I think you could get away with this if you have a GS rear currently and a bit of tweaking. Gives a 1:1 gear ratio, which is better than my old triple!

That does sound like a good option too
  • Vino'sGhost
    Just 4 Fun wrote:

Thanks, how much?

Sorry my phone changed XTR to xtera £100 includes the calipers bottom bracket triple crankset front mech and rear mech . All duraace except the xtr rear mech and I’ve no idea what the cassette is probably a xt

It’s better off being used than not.
  • green_mark
    green_mark Posts: 74
    Simplest method would be to use a 11-36 cassette. SRAM does one for about £40
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram ... prod123725

For most cases, a 5800 GS Rear Derailleur is fine with it, even on big-big. All you really need to do is reverse the B-screw.

Plenty of youtube videos on this (search 11-36 with 5800).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9q4WpaqwgI
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Agree with above, simplest option is to go with a 36t rear which will work ok, cheapest and easiest as well
  • Just 4 Fun
    Just 4 Fun wrote:

Thanks, how much?

Sorry my phone changed XTR to xtera £100 includes the calipers bottom bracket triple crankset front mech and rear mech . All duraace except the xtr rear mech and I’ve no idea what the cassette is probably a xt

That wouldn't work with my shifters would it?
  • Just 4 Fun
    Thanks that 36 rear casset looks like a good option.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Just 4 Fun wrote:
    Thanks for the advice guys. Whichever route I take it's not just going to be a straight swap.
    Changing cassette as I suggested is pretty simple no?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Yes, should work with your shifters, same amount of cogs
  • Vino'sGhost
    Just 4 Fun wrote:
    Just 4 Fun wrote:

Thanks, how much?

It includes tripple duraaace shifters
  • Vino'sGhost
    Just 4 Fun wrote:
    Just 4 Fun wrote:

Thanks, how much?

Actually i can lend you a bike lolololol
  • Just 4 Fun
    Just 4 Fun wrote:
    Just 4 Fun wrote:

Thanks, how much?

Actually i can lend you a bike lolololol

Lol. TBH as much as I love tinkering around and doing all my own work, the minefield of compatabiliy is making me think a different bike wouldn't be a bad idea. Especially with recent gear. I've still got a while to go though