identifying Old Pinarello

menno
menno Posts: 7
edited May 2018 in Vintage bikes forum
Hi guys,

I've just picked up an old Pinarello which is in no where near perfect condition.
I was wondering what model it is and age? I was thinking early 80's but am not sure.
Also the framematerial is a question. The guy I got it from said alu but is not sure.
Please help me out.

f1.jpg
f2.jpg
f3.jpg
f4.jpg
f5.jpg
f6.jpg
f7.jpg
f8.jpg

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Sorry, can't see the pictures. Photobucket doesn't work any more unless you pay them lots of money.
  • menno
    I updated the pictures
    hope you can see them now
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not sure of the frame but that DA stuff looks about late 80's to me ? I had very similar.

Which does match with the sticker putting it at 1984 at the oldest.

If thats a fully chromed chainstay and not just a cover check that out carefully - I had a 1980s bike with chromed chainstay and looked after it really well. Hardly ever went out in the wet. Bloody thing still corroded through....

Prob not worth the repair if thats the case....
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Thank you, I can see them now. I'd go with mid to late 80s, the rusty bits are steel so I guess it's all steel of some sort. Where the paint is lifting off the seat stay it looks quite shiny, is it chromed or stainless. Same with the top tube. A magnet will tell you for sure if it is steel, but a magnet not sticking to it doesn't necessarily rule steel out as it depends on the type of steel.
    It's probably quite a good quality frame, but it's in dreadful condition and the forks look as though they might even be dangerous depending on how bad that rust is.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It’s lugged steel. In obviously poor condition. High quality probably cast lugs and bottom bracket and looks nicely built. Pinarello used Columbus tubing from low to high end across models in the 80s before switching to Dedacciai branded Pinarello tubing in the 90s I understand.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    MF reckons that you should get the whole thing head blasted and have a look what its like under all that corrosion.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • menno
    I brushed of most of the rust and it seems to be only a very thin layer.
    Still dont know the model does anyone know where I can check this cant find it in the old catalogues on the internet
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As mentioned, it's a steel frame with cast lugs. Not aluminium. Sloping fork crown (assuming it's original) suggests late 80s/early 90s to me and Mavic(?) headset with DA groupset suggest a custom build. A lot of high end road bikes back then were self-build or shop-build, so the DA groupset may or may not be the same age as the frame. IMO it doesn't matter what 'model' of Pina it is, it's probably worth a resto of some sort..
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Restore it. If you don't want it and it a big frame I do.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.