Chorus Rear Mech Clicking

rank_amateur
rank_amateur Posts: 117
edited May 2018 in Workshop
My rear shifting has gone all to hell. On stripping everything down, the 2016 Chorus 11 speed rear mech makes a very noticeable click click click and moves in steps as you manually move the parallelogram as if shifting. That’s with the wheel removed and the cable disconnected. I’ve never known a mech do that, usually they move smoothly and silently. This is the first Campagnolo group I’ve had but surely that ain’t right.
I can’t see that the torsion spring is broken or anything obvious but I can’t see how to take it apart either to see what’s clicking. Any ideas?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    How does the mech behave when attached to the bike but the chain not fitted? If you push it sideways and back and forth all the pivots should feel smooth without any resistance. Is the jockey cage catching on the cassette sprockets? In which case the top torsion spring, or the lug / stop on the mounting boss that engages with the frame is damaged - happened to me once and I managed to cannibalise a trashed mech to fix it.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rank_amateur
    rank_amateur Posts: 117
    Thanks for the reply. Even without chain and without wheel it moves in noisy clicks. Even when completely removed from the bike, for that matter. Its buggered. I’ve just whizzed it over to a Campagnolo dealer who had never seen the like either. I’ve emailed the shop I bought it from to see if it’s covered by a warranty. Cheers.