Anyone live in Ipswich?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited May 2018 in Road general
ppp

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Re: Greater Anglia, it's going to depend on the time of day as obviously this is a commuter line. Bikes are not generally welcome at rush hour times, if you get the Intercity it can and will go in the guards van.

Some fantastic roads outside the town. And Suffolk has some nasty (nice) climbs believe it or not.

EDIT:

You've got a couple of potentially busy A roads in that route but probably ok if you're very early, as you intend.
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    You will be the one putting the bike in so you just have to make sure it won’t slip around, but they do have straps and clips. Alternatively, if it is that empty, lay it neatly down. Sit at the end of the quiet carriage B so you can make sure no one is nicking it at a stop (unlikely) and you will be fine.
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Big Harv wrote:
    so your climbs comments are concerning.....

Oh yes my friend. Short but sharp every which way....
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Your best bike will be fine in the Guard's van - just strap it in well and take a bit of towel for the toptube (to protect it), if you're really concerned.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    depends, if you are only going to Ipswich, you could get one of the suburban stopper trains from Liverpool St and just park the bike in the bike space, it really doesnt add that much to journey times vs the Intercity trains as there is no way for the Intercities to overtake like there is on most main lines.

but as youve booked, the guards van will be at the country end of the train, ie furthest to walk from the gate line, Ive never used it myself I stick with the stopper trains, but know friends that have and its been fine, there are bike racks in it and I think you strap the bike in, but you might have to speak to member of staff to accompany you to open the van door. and then prompt the guard when you want to get off.

as for the route youve picked, I wouldnt have said it was the most picturesque route in Suffolk, though the route out to Bawdsey/Orford/Snape is nice and its good when you hit the coast, but the roads arent always that great some of its single track country lanes where its more like CX racing in winter,but there can be plenty of sand on it this time of year.

I just find the roads after Snape on the way back a grind, youve generally got the wind in your face, you get lots of that chipping/dressed roads that seem to sap your leg strength and it all feels slightly uphill,its not massive climbs though there are one or two sharp bits that can throw you off rhythm, but it just goes on for ever and endless fields of turnips to the horizon.

apart from Woodbridge/Ipswich though theres generally not alot of traffic around, so it can feel like you are just out by yourself, which I like more than the scenery part, its just when you do encounter cars, theyll typically be 4x4s driven by total numpties, who are more concerned with getting to the nearest posh eatery than your safety, and youll probably be the only cyclist theyve encountered in the last 10miles so they dont get much practice at overtaking properly.
  • londoncommuter
    edited September 2018
    ppp
  • weezyswiss
    weezyswiss Posts: 123
    Yep, I'm Ipswich based and there are plenty of good rides out into the Suffolk countryside. It's not flat, it's constant up and down and there are some short sharp nasty climbs. You can head out towards Waldringfield or Aldeburgh through Snape Maltings. Even head a loop through to Dunwich and back. Countryside winds through some pretty villages.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    Also, have a look at going out near Framlingham, Debenham, Crowfield, Helmingham etc. As said previously, up in Suffolk we don't have nasty long climbs of mass gradients, more punchy short ones that catch you out in the wrong gear if not careful. Lovely countryside though.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    About 135000 people I think ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D