hi viz gilet with side and chest pockets?

brebis
brebis Posts: 5
edited June 2018 in Commuting general
I'm trying, so far in vain, to find a replacement men's ultra lightweight hi viz yellow commuting gilet as one of the pockets of much used incumbent has torn too badly to be fixed. It's 4+ years old so has done well.
It's faded but think Endura but they no longer make this gilet. Nor it seems does anyone else (2 hours of googling!). It has two good sized side pockets and a large Napoleon pocket. No back pocket. Have to carry keys, work ID tag, Oyster and 2 smartphones - work and personal. Frame bags are too small. Already have backpack which is crammed full of work papers/sometimes laptop. I don't have a back pannier, nor do I really want one as the bike isn't light and the hills are high :shock:

Think it'd be ok for a gilet with large back pocket and large Napoleon pocket but this seems impossible to find either.
None of the gilets seem designed for commuters.
Don't wear cycle jersey either but commute in work clothes (it's not far and the steep hill is on the way home!).

Many thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just get a lightweight hi box gilet that you can put over the top of any jersey that has the pockets you need ?
  • brebis
    cheers Cougie, yes, that's plan B. However often wear a work shirt or T shirt in the summer so really wanted another gilet. There were several options when I got this one, but clearly there is little demand. I'm going to try to get a quote from the dry cleaner to replace the mesh pocket.
    Plan C is a frame bag but a big enough one for all my gear would probably get in the way of my legs :) OH has one and the iPhone 7+ is too big for it.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    Looks like Albion's gilet may be what you're after. One thing I'm not sure about is whether there are side pockets. Worth contacting them, their customer service is pretty good.
  • brebis
    thanks, will have a look. I've not heard of them before.
    Ah, no side pockets (just vents) and only in black. Thanks anyhow.

Will keep looking. The make on the current gilet has faded entirely - either Endura or Altura I think though.
    I'll have to compromise
  • karlmcr
    karlmcr Posts: 16
    brebis wrote:
    Think it'd be ok for a gilet with large back pocket and large Napoleon pocket but this seems impossible to find either.
    None of the gilets seem designed for commuters.
    Don't wear cycle jersey either but commute in work clothes (it's not far and the steep hill is on the way home!).

Many thanks for any ideas.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gore-Bike-Wear ... B00QIRPHZW

The Black/Neon option seems to be appropriate. Has a Napoleon Pockets & 2 back pockets.

Not really sure what 'High visibility thanks to reflective inserts' are.