Long distance riding

stone_h
stone_h Posts: 5
edited May 2018 in Women's cycling forum
Hello!

Does anyone have any tips for increasing mileage from 30 mile rides to 100 miles?

Thank you :)

Comments

• mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Don't stop after 30?

You can increase endurance by adding some distance to your training rides gradually. Also, just as important for longer distances is that you are comfortable on your bicycle. So, a well fitting saddle and shorts and a well fitting bike are needed. Drink a bottle of water an hour, eat enough, and you are there!
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    Completely forget about speed. Settle into the ride, enjoy the views, make sure you don’t have a time to be home. If it feels like hard work or if you are out of breath, back off. You’ll be surprised how far you can go if you commit the time and just enjoy the ride.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    And build up the mileage weekly. You can easily add ten miles per week.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    if you set up a loop of 25-33miles, then you can do laps around it and push on if you feel comfortable still or pull out as needed, its a lot less daunting I think that way than heading out for 50miles and thinking you can then get stuck coming back 30miles from home, though alot of people will tell you its that fear which pushes you on to finish.

eating definitely becomes a factor to keep energy levels up though thats the difference between a 30mile ride and 100miler, and that can be pre-ride preperation as much as during the ride,even if you dont take much food to eat along the way, and dont just take gels, take money so you can buy from a local shop/cafe/garage, plan it as part of a planned rest stop,and try and keep ontop of fluids, but how much you need to drink will very much depend on the weather conditions.

dont worry too much about speed, or how long its taking, and try and ignore the actual distance
  • JSBR
    JSBR Posts: 13
    Hi
    Try to make it fun. Hopefully you cycle with someone else. Set a target and a location for lunch. Stop and enjoy a pub lunch and a rest, then have another route planned for the afternoon - maybe with a shorter option in case you do get too tired. Then you can just increase the length of the pre-lunch and after-lunch rides.
  • I could understand you might find doing multiple 20 or 30 mile circuits quite daunting. Felling, I've managed on circuit but could I manage another?

If you live anywhere near a suitable railway line you could plan to take the train for your outward journey, say 50 or 60 miles then ride back to where you got on the train to pick up your car. The point of this is that if you get too tired, or have a mechanical issue you could get back on the train at the nearest station to take you back to where you started.

I did just this the first time I rode 75 miles. Before I set off I felt I had a safety net and could give up at any time if I needed. In reality I felt I've managed to ride so far, there's no way I'm giving up, I'm going to push on and make the finish.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Double your distance for each consecutive ride, over several weeks. You’ll be at 100 before you know it.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    So you go from 50 to 100. Sometimes you just talk sh*te.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    Double your distance for each consecutive ride, over several weeks. You’ll be at 100 before you know it.

The OP is already doing 30 - they will be going all the way round the world after 10 rides.
  • milemuncher1
    Mad_Malx wrote:

The OP is already doing 30 - they will be going all the way round the world after 10 rides.

I meant double the interval increase.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Mad_Malx wrote:

That's why you said distance :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • milemuncher1
    Brakeless wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I’m sure you know what I meant.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Brakeless wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

I’m sure you know what I meant.

Nope. Nowhere are intervals mentioned at all so what would the OP be increasing other than distance?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    Op made 2 posts in 6 months as threadstarters and nothing else, 1 in MTB and 1 in road.
    Wondering if they are just lobbing bait in to see what bites.
    Would love to hear otherwise.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Maybe they followed monstermunchs advice on doubling up and they are currently half way across Europe.
  • milemuncher1
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Op made 2 posts in 6 months as threadstarters and nothing else, 1 in MTB and 1 in road.

Possibly a ‘data harvester’. There have been a lot on forums lately. They look for certain responses, and collate, then report to the ‘money men’. A bit like a ‘Bot’, but with awareness. It’s a big money gig at the moment. ‘Big analytics’ is the term.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Possibly a ‘data harvester’. There have been a lot on forums lately. They look for certain responses, and collate, then report to the ‘money men’. A bit like a ‘Bot’, but with awareness. It’s a big money gig at the moment. ‘Big analytics’ is the term.

'Data harvester'....'money men'.......'big analytics' :lol::lol::lol:

This is absolutely hilarious. What possible useful 'data' is going to be 'harvested' from a few anonymous bbcode forum posts on how to increase mileage, ffs.
  • stone_h
    stone_h Posts: 5
    Nope, not a data harvester.... enjoy reading others posts but have't contributed to the forum much.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aah. Precisely what a data harvester would be programmed to say !

;-)
  • Arien
    Arien Posts: 8
    Joining a group helps. Sometimes chatting away and stopping midway for coffee just makes the km fly by
  • milemuncher1
    Arien wrote:
    Joining a group helps. Sometimes chatting away and stopping midway for coffee just makes the km fly by

Not to mention the effort saved by draughting, in a group. The longer the ride, the more grateful you’ll be for any draught savings.