OEM Tubeless Ready

andy9964
andy9964 Posts: 930
edited May 2018 in MTB general
Quick question regarding tubeless ready parts as original equipment,
My new bike (Genesis Longitude) is supplied with tubeless ready rims and tyres. Is it likely that there is tubeless rim tape already fitted, or will I have to get some? Don't want to waste time if it's not the right tape
Cheers

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You will have to remove the tyre to find out but probably not as tubeless tape costs real money.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • andy9964
    Yep, definitely not tubeless tape. Some sort of non sticky, heat shrunk stuff
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Gorilla tape, just done mine
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    I bought some road wheels that were "tubeless ready". They came with a gel rim strip which looked pretty well sealed. The instructions just said fit a UST tyre, stick in the sealant and off you go.
    I Haven't tried it tubeless so no idea if it really is.
  • andy9964
    Just ordered some Tesa Tape 4289.
    I was going to try Gorilla Tape, but was put off by some people saying it leaves a stubborn, sticky residue, and can deteriorate over time.
    Probably never be an issue, but I'm not that lucky :)
  • My GT Zaskar came with Stans Tubeless tape installed, it also came with Stans rims too though. Best thing to do is remove a tyre and have a look.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Andy9964 wrote:
    Just ordered some Tesa Tape 4289.
    I was going to try Gorilla Tape, but was put off by some people saying it leaves a stubborn, sticky residue, and can deteriorate over time.
    Probably never be an issue, but I'm not that lucky :)

I know that the above is an old thread, but this is worth replying to.
    The bike shop at Sherwood Pines has been using Gorilla tape for ages and recommends it's use. If you have a search around, you can get G.tape that looks like it's made from carbon fibre. Yes I know nobody sees it, but I know it's there! Works really well, but use two layers as one layer gets pressed into the spoke holes by air pressure. One layer works, but two is better.