My 2018 Vitus Escarpe VR

tallpaul_s
tallpaul_s Posts: 130
edited September 2019 in Your mountain bikes
My week old Vitus Escarpe VR, 2018 model in XL. :)

40061047990_38e294c1e7_b.jpg
40061044420_39aedddb22_b.jpg
41151133614_b604151e69_b.jpg
41868332521_f74bdde2d2_b.jpg
40061034990_10c847c053_b.jpg
27999542618_ffe6a415b5_b.jpg
41825311492_97bd6174d7_b.jpg
41151125914_b980d269fc_b.jpg
41151125784_db7d282b27_b.jpg

Spec:
140mm travel rear - Rockshox Deluxe RT
150mm travel front - Rockshox Revelation RC
148/110 boost
SLX drivetrain, 11-46t cassette, 32t chainring
Deore MT500 brakes, 180/180mm rotors
Raceface AR27 rims, 27mm internal width
Novatec hubs
Brand X XL 150mm dropper post
Nukeproof Horizon bar, 800mm
Nukeproof Horizon stem, 45mm
Nukeproof Neutron saddle
Maxxis Minion SS/DHF tyres, 2.3"
Threaded HollowtechII BB
MRP CS chain device
My own Time ATAC ROC Carbon pedals from about 2008
Weight: 15kg with pedals (400g) and tubes.

I've done nearly 40 miles on it so far, awesome bike!

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Nice. 8)
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Nice bike, are those the new revelations with 35mm stanchions?
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    swod1 wrote:

They are, yes. Same externals as the Pike, different inners. Meant to be much better than the old Revelations.
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • jamski
    Cracking bike btw. An absolute steal when on offer.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    edited May 2018
    ... Duplicate post
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    How is the sizing? Although your username suggests that XL may have been the only option for you.
    (Considering pulling the trigger but am concerned that at 6ft and with stumpy legs, I normally fall right between a medium and large.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • jamski
    ... Duplicate post

:roll:
  • swod1
    jamski wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

They are, yes. Same externals as the Pike, different inners. Meant to be much better than the old Revelations.

Sounds good the ones on my 26er nukeproof mega are a little bit flexy hopefully larger stanchion size stiffens them up as well as being boost as well?
  • jamski
    swod1 wrote:
    jamski wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

Sounds good the ones on my 26er nukeproof mega are a little bit flexy hopefully larger stanchion size stiffens them up as well as being boost as well?

Yep, boost, and a lot of the reviews say they flex has gone with these.
  • swod1
    jamski wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    jamski wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

nice, could be a very good fork if you can upgrade to the rct 3 damper or put the new debonair spring in the fork?
  • jamski
    swod1 wrote:
    jamski wrote:
    swod1 wrote:
    jamski wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

nice, could be a very good fork if you can upgrade to the rct 3 damper or put the new debonair spring in the fork?

Not sure to be honest. I managed to find a bit more budget for the Pike RC on my build, so didn't go any further with the Revelation research. A lot of the parts between Revelation/Pike and Yari/Larynx are interchangeable though.

Quite a few reports both from people first hand and in magazines of the Revelation needing some attention straight out the box. Something about too much grease in there making them very stiff. Should you be unlucky it's a warranty job, so no massive deal.
  • tallpaul_s
    How is the sizing? Although your username suggests that XL may have been the only option for you.
    (Considering pulling the trigger but am concerned that at 6ft and with stumpy legs, I normally fall right between a medium and large.)
    I'm 6ft 3 so technically could have gone for a L or XL - however as you can see I still need a couple of cm of post showing with the 150mm dropper.

I would think that you'd be fine on a L, they reckon L is for 5ft 11 to 6ft 3.

And yeah they're the new 35mm stantion revelations, these are one of the main reasons I went for this over something with rebas or lower, these also a decent upgrade route, you can drop in a charger 2 damper and the new debonair spring.

I'll be buying the 2019 debonair spring at some point, it's only £42.
  • tallpaul_s
    Got out for a couple of rides over the weekend, just under 19 miles around some local trails (bluebell hill/detling) and found some serious climbs (20-25% grade!) which I eventually had to get off and push up, and some excellent rocky, rooty, fast singletrack descents.

41909903921_d0673d2b28_b.jpg

Then also did a quick 6 miles blast this evening, found a nice climb which I'll be using to measure my fitness, trying to best my strava times as I keep riding, it's less than 3 miles away so I can get there in 20 minutes.

I am very much the limiting factor on this bike! Uphill and fitness I need to work on, and downhill it just flies - there were roots I was hitting that I was preparing for the hits to come back through the bars, but... nothing. Just took it all in it's stride and said 'is that it?' :mrgreen:

I am looking at a couple of upgrades - I'll be upgrading the front rotor from 180mm to 203mm as this things loves speed and the front brake could be a bit more powerful - it's fine if you give it a proper haul but I'd prefer to have more power than I need than having to haul on the brakes in an emergency situation. I'm also looking at the sunrace 11-50t cassette - I've ridden a couple of bikes with eagle and that 50t cog combined with a 32t up front lets you climb ridiculous stuff, those extra 4 teeth are noticable going up very steep climbs, of which there are lots near to me!!

I've stuck a 2.5WT DHF on the front and swapped the 2.3DHF to the rear too.
    40102502460_76a8a3c911_b.jpg
    jamski wrote:
    Quite a few reports both from people first hand and in magazines of the Revelation needing some attention straight out the box. Something about too much grease in there making them very stiff. Should you be unlucky it's a warranty job, so no massive deal.

Have you got any links for this? Would like to know what the symptoms are as I feel mine are a touch lacking in small bump sensitivity - could just be how they are but better to know. I would think a lower leg service would fix the issue if it's to do with grease in the seals.
  • swod1
    Upgrade the front brake to a zee or saint plus a 203mm disc, you should have plenty of brake power then.

I see the vitus 2018 carbon version is on sale at crc looks a great bike for the money.
  • jamski
    TallPaul_S wrote:

Have you got any links for this? Would like to know what the symptoms are as I feel mine are a touch lacking in small bump sensitivity - could just be how they are but better to know. I would think a lower leg service would fix the issue if it's to do with grease in the seals.

There was a lot about it in this months MBR. A letter that someone wrote in with, and every review of a bike with a revelation. When I get chance I'll see if there's anything online, think I read about it somewhere.
  • tallpaul_s
    jamski wrote:
    TallPaul_S wrote:

There was a lot about it in this months MBR. A letter that someone wrote in with, and every review of a bike with a revelation. When I get chance I'll see if there's anything online, think I read about it somewhere.

Cheers, I'm thinking mine are probably ok as I feel the same response in the front and rear when hitting bumps but better to be safe.
    swod1 wrote:
    Upgrade the front brake to a zee or saint plus a 203mm disc, you should have plenty of brake power then.

I see the vitus 2018 carbon version is on sale at crc looks a great bike for the money.
    If the 203mm upgrade doesn't work then I may look at a brake upgrade :D

That Sommet Carbon model is very very good value for money, it's the full enduro model though so 160/170mm travel - probably overkill for most people.
  • swod1
    you could always try some better brake pads. i have race matrix on the front brake with 180mm disc and semi metallic on rear.
  • jamski
    I have the M6000 brakes with a 203 on the front 180 rear. No problems with the rear at all, and chucked it round the Surrey Hills on Monday no problem. The front brake did take a little getting used to. Think it may have just been the pads scrubbing in a bit though as I only noticed it towards the beginning of the ride, and only down the near vertical stuff. Just seemed like a lack of bite, almost like the disk was slipping through the pads.
  • tallpaul_s
    jamski wrote:
    I have the M6000 brakes with a 203 on the front 180 rear. No problems with the rear at all, and chucked it round the Surrey Hills on Monday no problem. The front brake did take a little getting used to. Think it may have just been the pads scrubbing in a bit though as I only noticed it towards the beginning of the ride, and only down the near vertical stuff. Just seemed like a lack of bite, almost like the disk was slipping through the pads.
    Did you bed them in before riding the bike properly? When they're new all brakes have zero bite or power, once bedded in they're miles better. I made sure to bed mine in properly but for the brakes I have there's a decent bit of initial bite, but just not a huge amount of power until you give the lever good hard squeeze.
  • jamski
    TallPaul_S wrote:
    jamski wrote:
    Did you bed them in before riding the bike properly? When they're new all brakes have zero bite or power, once bedded in they're miles better. I made sure to bed mine in properly but for the brakes I have there's a decent bit of initial bite, but just not a huge amount of power until you give the lever good hard squeeze.

Well, I did 20 easy miles before thrashing it round the Surrey Hills, so that'll have to have been it's bed in period. ;)

To be honest, from new, they've seemed fine. It was only down the really, really steep gnarly stuff that the front seemed a little odd. But like I say, perhaps it's just because they were new. Seemed fine after the first hour of riding up there.
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    I bought one of these a couple weeks ago. Very pleasantly surprised. Not had a full sus since I got rid of my zesty, been pooteling about on my blue pig the past few years when out (which has not been a lot) , got mine on sale, they dropped to 1479 for a week which was a steal!

Very planted going down, I was getting a tad carried away on it. So far I love it but I’ve seen a couple things I’m going to keep an eye on such as the stealth routing for dropper post.
    I too bought a 203 rotor and got rid of that bloody Minion SS. My first 27.5 bike, also long and low so it will take a wee bit of getting used to. So far so good :)
  • jamski
    What did you replace the SS with? You found it wasn’t grippy enough even in our now dry conditions?

I’m still looking at tweaking my M6000 brakes. Did the same trails as my first ride last week, but in a different order. Once again on the early very, very steep descents they didn’t bite. Once warm though they were perfect.

So I’m thinking of trying another compound.
  • tallpaul_s
    You say 'now dry' but give it a few weeks :D

Have you got sintered pads in your brakes? They'll take a little while to warm up, whereas organic pads bit from cold. it's the same with motorbike pads, decent sintered ones have no power at all when stone cold but are brilliant when up to temp.

Would be interesting to know how the 203 rotor improves the brakes, and also what tyre you've fitted at the rear - as I do a lot of tarmac miles my DHF is already staring to show some wear, might go with a dhr2 2.5 WT at the rear but that probably won't last long either, might go for an aggressor or something similar with shorter, more dense knobs but not as short as the SS.
  • jamski
    I really like my 2.4 ardent on the rear. :) The pads I believe are resin. To be honest I've never tried anything different than the stock pads in any brakes, so not something I have much experience with.
  • supafly1982
    supafly1982 Posts: 631
    jamski wrote:
    What did you replace the SS with? You found it wasn’t grippy enough even in our now dry conditions?

I’m still looking at tweaking my M6000 brakes. Did the same trails as my first ride last week, but in a different order. Once again on the early very, very steep descents they didn’t bite. Once warm though they were perfect.

So I’m thinking of trying another compound.

High Roller 2 rear. Where I’ve been riding the mud has turned from runny to thick like glue lol. Was looking at getting a couple of shorty’s for later on in the year, lots of roots, rocks and mud.
    If I’m honest the SS did better than I thought it would but I’m used to riding a HR II on the rear with Minion dhf on front. The brakes have bedded in nicely, will see how they cope when I start to push it more, still getting the suspension dialled in.
  • rsmart84
    rsmart84 Posts: 19
    Love the bike mate. Was looking at the same bike my self. I'm a bit undecided between this and the Whyte 905 hardtail. Can I ask, does it go down hills good over the rough stuff. I would be mainly riding Cannock chase. Also how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking, when it was on offer? I'm only just getting back into riding but have already done follow the dog trail up the chase on my brother's beast from the east. Still so unsure about hardtail Vs suspension .
  • billycool
    billycool Posts: 833
    rsmart84 wrote:
    Love the bike mate. Was looking at the same bike my self. I'm a bit undecided between this and the Whyte 905 hardtail. Can I ask, does it go down hills good over the rough stuff. I would be mainly riding Cannock chase. Also how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking, when it was on offer? I'm only just getting back into riding but have already done follow the dog trail up the chase on my brother's beast from the east. Still so unsure about hardtail Vs suspension .

Have a read of this:

viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=13092424
    "Ride, crash, replace"
  • tallpaul_s
    rsmart84 wrote:

I rode a 905 hardtail on a demo after riding a couple of Whyte FS bikes and within half a mile I was thinking 'yep, FS it is!' :mrgreen:

The escarpe is long, slack with very good suspension so yeah it flies down hill over rough stuff. It was on offer a few weeks back for £1479, normal price is £1849 - if you get British cycling discount you'll get another 10% off. I paid £1650 as they had a £200 off bikes over £1000 deal week I bought mine, I did also get another £85 in vouchers as the big price drop happened a week after I bought mine! So at the current price you'd be looking at £1665, which is still fantastic value.

If you're coming back to MTB them it would suggest you're of a more mature age, I'm mid-30's (just) and the comfort factor was a major reason for going for a FS bike, I just wasn't fit enough to ride a hardtail for 10-20 miles over 2+ hours.

Oh and you basically get exactly the same level spec on the escarpe as on the 905, only with rear suspension, for the same price. No brainer IMO.
  • rsmart84
    rsmart84 Posts: 19
    Ye I'm 34 and suffer a bit with my joints. The white I can get for just over £1400 as my local bike shop has a 15% off all Whyte bikes deal. I was just scared to go for the Vitus as I can not try before I buy. But if it's as good as you say then I might just go for it. Thank you
  • tallpaul_s
    rsmart84 wrote:
    Ye I'm 34 and suffer a bit with my joints. The white I can get for just over £1400 as my local bike shop has a 15% off all Whyte bikes deal. I was just scared to go for the Vitus as I can not try before I buy. But if it's as good as you say then I might just go for it. Thank you
    In that case I'd highly recommend a FS bike, the Escarpe will be a bit heavier than the 905 but it's not a huge issue when riding, it's a bit longer than the Whyte so will be more stable at speed too. It's got exactly the same fork. I would look to get a grippier rear tyre though especially with british summers, I've swapped the 2.3 DHF from the rear to the front and then put a 2.5WT DHF on the front.

Overall it feels like a much more expensive bike, and will anyone well for a decent amount of time as a first FS bike while they get their skill level up. I'm 37 (no health issues yet *touches wood*) an I'm coming from a 15 year gap in riding MTB's, with some other cycling for a few years in between. I'm confident taking on small steps/rollable drops etc on this which I'd never really done even when I was younger.