Interview clothing

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited May 2018 in The cake stop
What would you wear to an interview? Seems to me that most offices aren't as formal as they used to be, so is going in a suit and tie maybe a bit over the top. Would something a bit more casual be better, Not a t shirt and jeans though!

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Suit and tie every time, no matter what the job. But then I'm old fashioned.
    Never heard of anyone being turned down because they looked too smart.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Depends upon the job I suppose, but I've never done any less than suit and tie.

I've been involved with the interview side a couple of times too, and whilst a good candidate will shine through regardless of what they're dressed in, I have to say they'd have to be VERY good to make an impression if they chose to be casual.

The older I get, the better I was.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Totally agree. Suit and tie, and please for the love of God wear black shoes. Regardless of how casual the office is perceived to be, better to be overdressed than under.

If it's a vocational type role which requires specific clothing (factory, outdoor sports, manual labour type) then I'd go smart casual to the venue (maybe add a blazer) and go from there in case there's a chat as well, where a suit may be completely OTT.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Suit and tie for a professional office role.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 793
    I've never worn a suit and tie to an interview. Black trousers and smart shirt usually. I've never really worked in a typical office environment either though, mainly design/pr agencies. If people are going to decide whether or not to give me a job based on wearing a suit over trousers and a shirt, I feel like it's not really the place for me. I get it if it's a big corporate/client facing role and that'd be your normal workwear though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    You have to play the game if you want to win it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    suit and tie for any role anywhere, hair cut, polished shoes.

its a job interview ffs.

and if you don't get the job you'll leave a good impression so anything else that pops up they will remember you in a good light.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Prhymeate wrote:
    I've never worn a suit and tie to an interview. Black trousers and smart shirt usually. I've never really worked in a typical office environment either though, mainly design/pr agencies.
    This for me, similar sort of companies though.

However, if anyone turns up to work in a suit they usually get asked how the job interview went :roll:
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I've just been through all that. Freshly cleaned & pressed suit, clean & ironed white shirt, a sober tie, clean black shoes. It's not hard. I suppose if you're going for a role where you're kept away from sight in some windowless basement full of whirring servers then you can turn up in your Red Dwarf t-shirt and ponytail. :wink:
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    What's a tie?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Suit and tie even if that's not how the office dress.

When you start you can adjust to the surroundings.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    Even if the office is mostly jeans and t-shirt, wearing a suit to the interview signals that you do want the job. You want to be at least as smartly dressed as the interviewer.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Suit and tie every time, no matter what the job. But then I'm old fashioned.
    Never heard of anyone being turned down because they looked too smart.

This. Apart (IMHO) from it never being wrong, it demonstrates to the interviewer that you have respect for them and the role you are applying for.

What happens if you turn up for the interview in jeans and a t-shirt and the interviewer is wearing a made to measure 3 piece suit, silk tie and bespoke Church's shoes? Personally, I don't think that turning up in a suit when the interviewer is dressed more casually would be as problematic.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,510
    What's a tie?

The thing that goes with suits.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    edited May 2018
    If it’s an office job, suited and booted.

Can always take a tie off in between meetings but it’s much harder to put one on.

People in the U.K. don’t mind people being overdressed anywhere near as much as under dressed.

On the note of suits; 2 piece, single breasted.

Anything else and you look like a tw@t in an interview.
  • TheBigBean
    Men - suit and tie

Women - suit
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I work in a casual office environment (I'm wearing jeans and a cycling t-shirt right now). I was administering a test for an interview earlier this week, and I wore a suit (no tie - I'd have worn one if I'd been on the formal panel or I was the interviewee). The interview panel wore suits, and all of the male candidates wore suits. As others have said - it's a job interview.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I always wear a suit for an interview although I don’t wear a tie all the time these days. I also always wear a suit when interviewing regardless of the post the interviews for. Did this even when interviewing for a post that was down there with kids :roll:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Suit and tie is the worst possible clothing for bagging a job. Tight shirt, short skirt and high heels for the win.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • TheBigBean
    Anyone keen to bring back the bowler hat?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    drlodge wrote:
    Suit and tie is the worst possible clothing for bagging a job. Tight shirt, short skirt and high heels for the win.

Says the Jordan Peterson fan.

Hah.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Just wear what you would in court.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Anyone keen to bring back the bowler hat?

Already have,

Profile_-_Oddjob.png
    mate.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    drlodge wrote:

Hah.

And not forgetting make up and red lipstick. Such attire is sexually provocative and it has an effect.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    TheBigBean wrote:
    What's a tie?

Not with my only two suits,my wetsuit and my birthday suit
  • TheBigBean
    drlodge wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Hah.

And not forgetting make up and red lipstick. Such attire is sexually provocative and it has an effect.

I would guess that you are more likely to be interviewed by a woman than a man, so should male interviewees work on their sexual provocativeness as well? Perhaps the OP should be looking to 50 shades of grey the flim/book rather than suit colours.
  • lostboysaint
    TheBigBean wrote:
    What's a tie?

Not with my only two suits,my wetsuit and my birthday suit

That!

Don't own a tie, haven't for years.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I work in a casual office environment (I'm wearing jeans and a cycling t-shirt right now). I was administering a test for an interview earlier this week, and I wore a suit (no tie - I'd have worn one if I'd been on the formal panel or I was the interviewee).

Suit and no tie? How is it going these days David Cameron. Note, no matter what you think current fashion allows, a suit without a tie looks terrible. There is something very wrong when people think it doesn't.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lostboysaint
    Rolf F wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I work in a casual office environment (I'm wearing jeans and a cycling t-shirt right now). I was administering a test for an interview earlier this week, and I wore a suit (no tie - I'd have worn one if I'd been on the formal panel or I was the interviewee).

Suit and no tie? How is it going these days David Cameron. Note, no matter what you think current fashion allows, a suit without a tie looks terrible. There is something very wrong when people think it doesn't.

Couldn't agree less. A length of cloth dangling from a collar - it looks ridiculous.

Suits only crap on most people because they look like sh1t in anything and a suit exacerbates that.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Rolf F wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

I can take the sartorial criticism, but the DC comparison cuts real deep! :cry: