CX Groupset

captain_oakley
captain_oakley Posts: 222
edited May 2018 in Cyclocross
Folks...
I am looking for a groupset for a cross/gravel bike, any suggestions? I have done a bit of research, and the options
look limited, SRAM CX1 or road sets with discs (mainly Shimano)
Frame is a Cotic 'Escapade' Any advice would be greatly received.

"....Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...."

Comments

• rokt
    rokt Posts: 493
    I’ve got SRAM Rival 1x hydraulic on my Giant CX bike. It’s the first bike I’ve had with SRAM and my first time with 1x and I’m impressed.
  • pedropete
    pedropete Posts: 227
    +1 for Rival 1 HRD, with wide range cassette (10-42).
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Groupsets cost so much better off just buying bikes with groupsets on.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I'd say Apex 1x is the perfect cross bike groupset. Works really well, but cheap(er) when things going wrong and you need to replace parts.

Unfortunately it seems particularly hard to buy SRAM stuff, and the 1x in particular, as groupsets. So perhaps keep an eye out on Ebay. I believe all the SRAM 1x stuff is compatible.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    One downside with SRAM is GXP BB are terrible, unless you don't ride in the wet.

From there manual:
    Bearings require regular maintenance. Regrease bearings after 100 hours of use in dry conditions or immediately following any
    significant exposure to water; such as riding in heavy rain or through water crossings.

Iv'e found the means they don't last 1 CX season im on my sixth BB in 3yrs, I haven't being regreasing the BB everytime it rains though.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Hmm, that's interesting. I have a GXP in my winter bike that has been going for at least 4 years, its the smoothest crankset I have. I can back-spin the pedals and they'll do significantly more revolutions than either of my other two bikes (one with a brand new BB).
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    joey54321 wrote:
    Hmm, that's interesting. I have a GXP in my winter bike that has been going for at least 4 years, its the smoothest crankset I have. I can back-spin the pedals and they'll do significantly more revolutions than either of my other two bikes (one with a brand new BB).
    Same, the GXP on my CX bike is 3 years old now and no issues.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Conversely, I've manage to trash examples of all of the following within a month or so:
    - PF30
    - BB386Evo
    - Hollowtech
    - Square taper
    - Cottered crank with loose ball bearings
    Of all of those, the last one was by far the easiest to resurrect (dismantle, clean, regrease, reassemble); let's just not mention the cotter pins...

Edit: Apologies to any millenials on here, for whom the last 4 lines of this post will be incomprehensible...

I reckon the golden age of BBs would have been when everything was square taper with loose balls, where the only things you had to worry about were spindle length and whether the taper was Shimano or Campag...
    Pannier, 120rpm.