specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited May 2018 in Pro race
think so

Comments

• Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    think so

That would be a good signing for them, and hed get to ride some big races whilst keeping at his cyclo cross. I imagine it would help wanty continue to get the invites too.
  • specialgueststar
    31487682_816836031839577_4685430559655067648_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=d48e11bf81a3e13c46f0bd3cfb3dd1de&oe=5B65992C
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,826
    Wasn't that just some sponsor thing as don't the two teams share a sponsor?

I think VdP would be better off going to a larger team. He's already proved he's good on the road with his performances so far including out sprinting Gilbert for a win. I think his current contract takes him till the end of 2020, the MTB in the olympics is his big goal. But I think after 2020 he could move to the road. Will be interesting to see if WvA moves to the road next year after his success this year. Would be good to watch the MvP v WvA move onto the road.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Seems like he's already at the level where he should be on a bigger team, not that it seemed to hold him back too much this year. Future superstar
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I think VdP would be better off going to a larger team.
    With Wanty he can pick and chose his races on a more part time basis and still do the Cross and MTB. I don't think a World Team would give him as much flexibility, especially with squads reducing in size.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • specialgueststar
    RichN95 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:
    I think VdP would be better off going to a larger team.
    With Wanty he can pick and chose his races on a more part time basis and still do the Cross and MTB. I don't think a World Team would give him as much flexibility, especially with squads reducing in size.

cf Wout Van Aert

Quite intriguing to have these two carrying on their battles in the PCT road arena!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    It should be MvdP to Sunweb and WvA to Quickstep...

Anything else will be against the natural order of things

I have spoken....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Can see Canyon wanting pay him to keep him riding their bikes, à la Sagan with Specialized.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    Crampeur wrote:
    Can see Canyon wanting pay him to keep him riding their bikes, à la Sagan with Specialized.
    He can join the legendary Movistar classics team
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    From a biochemical and micro biological standpoint he ought to turn out to be an excellent GC rider in GT's.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    You’d imagine he’s turned down some fairly big contracts to do that.

His bank manager won’t be happy.
  • arnuf
    arnuf Posts: 98
    I don't think Canyon pay 1M to see him finishing 7th in classics riding for a team no one cares about. Also he's committed himself to an Olympic plan, something Van Aert hasnt.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,130
    M.R.M. wrote:
    From a biochemical and micro biological standpoint he ought to turn out to be an excellent GC rider in GT's.

Quite. To use a horse racing analogy; his sire, and dam sire give him the breeding for almost everything; GT's, monuments, etc Add in his technical skills and you have a 'phenom' as Poulidor calls him.

I can't believe Wanty could afford him - as stated above he's already on 1M....He's probably the biggest star of Canyon bikes off road.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • specialgueststar
    AndyRAC wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Quite. To use a horse racing analogy; his sire, and dam sire give him the breeding for almost everything; GT's, monuments, etc Add in his technical skills and you have a 'phenom' as Poulidor calls him.

I can't believe Wanty could afford him - as stated above he's already on 1M....He's probably the biggest star of Canyon bikes off road.

WANTY already had a vote about going WT - not sure if it was in jest - but Mr Wanty seems to have lots of friends