Rear Light options - USB I think

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited May 2018 in Commuting chat
Slight rant - lost my Smart Lunar R2 - my own fault, didn't fix it properly - anyway, it'd done sterling work for the last few years and others had "complained" at how bright it was - usually on a TT - when they can see the light for miles but not catch me :)
Ive got another one - but figuring this is the right time of year to start looking for bargains - or at least, cheaper lights ...

Thinking about getting another Smart Lunar R2 - they're ~£10-15 - USB or not? I use(d) rechargeable AAA batteries in them, they did seeem to last for weeks ... are the USB ones any good?

Any other recommendations? Sub £20 ... I have one fixed to the rear stay - so need a bracket for that (no need if I get a direct replacement) - but swap around onto other bikes too...

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Moon Nebula. Has a saddle rail or seat post mount. Looks smart, really bright, lots of modes, very weather resistant in my experience.

USB rechargeable
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I got a Moon Comet X-Pro when my old Cateye holy hand grenade vanished. It was in the sale from High on Bikes I think. USB, tiny and eye-searingly bright. Multiple mounting options.

TBH I was amazed how LED lights had come on in 10 years. The thing is smaller than a kitkat finger, as bright as the fog light on the car, weighs nothing and lasts for days on a charge. I think my Cateye did me, if not the environment, a favour launching itself quietly into the undergrowth
  • slowbike
    ok - 2 recommendations for Moon ...

yup the LED lights are amazingly bright these days - I have to remember to select a not-so-good one for group rides ...
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've had build quality issues with Moon. My Nebula fell to bits within a week.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • shirley_basso
    I have run my nebula through the winter without guards without issue and my neighbour the same - I think you may have been unlucky.

The Nebula has loads of settings (3x constant and 4x flashing) so on a low, constant mode it's ideal for night time group rides - it's had positive comments. Much preferred to the TraceR which is stupidly blinding.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,844
    Moon Nebula is great, but I doubt you will find one for ~£20, more like ~£35 if you're lucky in a promo.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Moon Nebula is great, but I doubt you will find one for ~£20, more like ~£35 if you're lucky in a promo.

Whereas the Comet Xpro is going for < £20 in several places...
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    I used this Evans own-brand jobbie over the winter and have been very impressed.

- USB rechargeable
    - lasts 5 or 6 commutes on flash mode
    - multiple modes
    - bright enough to be noticed but not so bright that people complain
    - simple to mount and swap bikes
    - cheap as chips
    FCN = 4
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    edited May 2018
    I swear by my moon shield X. I've had a number of people comment how horrid it is to be behind me, especially if you are in the narrow "beam", and I run it alongside a moon nebula aldi clone for a wider field of view., although I'm not sure you'd find it for £20 now.

on daylight flash mode (150lumens) I get ~ 4 weeks/ 35 hours of riding of it, on steady (15lumens) with 30 lumens flash I get about 2 1/2 weeks...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • shirley_basso
    Well then it's not that use for night chaingangs is it?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Well then it's not that use for night chaingangs is it?

Slow bike didn't mention the variety of use cases..
    For a single cyclist it's good.
    For chain gang, it's ok on low steady.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I'll always recommend the exposure TraceR.

It;s above budget at £33 iirc, but I tend to find cheaper lights are a false economy.

I bought a 'just in case' spare, which has been sitting at home unused for 3 years.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I've had a USB charging KTV for a couple of years now, I think it only cost me a fiver, would recommend without hesitation if you can find the old version, I imagine they haven't fucked up the new one though, they seem to know what they're doing.

Worked much better than an actually quite expensive light I got gifted that died after a few months despite being completely sealed.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Love my cateye rapid x2, planning on another one ready for the winter. They fit neatly on the seat stays and the batteries last aaaaggggeeesss, easily a week for me, which is getting on for 14 hours flashing time.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • slowbike
    prawny wrote:
    Love my cateye rapid x2, planning on another one ready for the winter. They fit neatly on the seat stays and the batteries last aaaaggggeeesss, easily a week for me, which is getting on for 14 hours flashing time.
    Yes- but what about the light?

;)

Cheers
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Slowbike wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    Yes- but what about the light?

;)

Cheers

:lol: I have the light on at the same time, just to draw a decent crowd
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mpdouglas
    mpdouglas Posts: 220
    Another very positive vote for the Moon Nebula. Been running it daily for 2 hours all year round for over a year. Zero problems. And the saddle rail mount is rock solid and leaves the seat post free for clamping in the workstand.
    "The Flying Scot"
    Commute - Boardman CXR 9.4 Di2
    Sunday Best - Canyon Ultimate SLX Disc w/ DuraAce Di2
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Moon Comet - I have two. Both have done sterling duty on both MTBs and road bikes and have been bright, reliable and faultless.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • slowbike
    mpdouglas wrote:
    Another very positive vote for the Moon Nebula. Been running it daily for 2 hours all year round for over a year. Zero problems. And the saddle rail mount is rock solid and leaves the seat post free for clamping in the workstand.
    Hmm - use a wedge saddlebag - so that takes up the saddle rails ... not worried about seat post clamping in the workstand