Le TdY - visiting the starts

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited May 2018 in Road general
Morning.

I'm in a position to be able to go to the start in Barnsley on the Friday, but never been to one before I'd like to ask what it's like.

Is there much to do/see in the start area before & after the actual start?

Do you get to see much of the riders or do they tend to keep themselves away from the crowd?

Any other tips or advice?

TIA

Simon

Comments

• All plebs will be kept away from the riders, usually a roped off VIP area.

The local paper will run a story that Bradley Wiggins may turn up even though his team are NFI'd to get a few more people interested.

There may be a big screen

There will be vendors selling a variety of out of date beef burgers at rip off prices and a few trader stands offering a Watt bike who can pedal the fastest competition.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,578
    You can usually get right up to team buses and see/meet the riders. The only'mega' star there is Cav, so access will be ok, expect the biggest crowds at the Sky bus and Team DD.
    They'll be a small trade village area and usually a load of freebies available - caps, bidons, inflatable clappers etc. It'll be a decent morning out, Id say. :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Even at the tour and the Giro you can get up close to most of the riders. It's true that the star riders will mainly be in their bus or something but worth going for.

You'll get a better chance to see them than you do out on the road.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    cougie wrote:
    Even at the tour and the Giro you can get up close to most of the riders. It's true that the star riders will mainly be in their bus or something but worth going for.

You'll get a better chance to see them than you do out on the road.

Went to a start in the TDF few years back and most riders came to sign autographs after signing in - Contador included. They were mostly mooching about picking up gels and stuff, and Voeckler was sat in his yellow jersey with his feet up reading L'Equipe for 20 minutes.

I'd have thought if the weather was decent, you'd get at least as much chance to see the riders at TdY.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Barnsley though.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    CarbonClem wrote:
    The only'mega' star there is Cav

Greg Van Avermaet
    Ian Stannard

But the Tour de Yorkshire is only a UCI rating of 2.1 therefore it was never going to attract to mega stars that the UCI World Tour classics and monuments do.

I think there's also a limit to how many UCI World Tour riders can enter, the rest must be UCI Continental teams ?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,578
    ben@31 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

Greg Van Avermaet
    Ian Stannard

Joe Public agree with me :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    CarbonClem wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

Greg Van Avermaet
    Ian Stannard

I hope GVA isn't on Strava. Stages 2 and 4 are close to here and I've rode quite a few of those roads. One or two of the roads at end of stage 4 are actually commuter routes into Leeds.

Our Strava times will be going back another 139 places
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    ben@31 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:
    ben@31 wrote:
    CarbonClem wrote:

Greg Van Avermaet
    Ian Stannard

I hope GVA isn't on Strava. Stages 2 and 4 are close to here and I've rode quite a few of those roads. One or two of the roads at end of stage 4 are actually commuter routes into Leeds.

Our Strava times will be going back another 139 places

He is !! And does post on Strava... :D:D