Colnago C64 PKWH Dura-Ace Di2

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    nammynake wrote:
    Only in the UK would someones dream bike be Shimano on a Colnago

Why not go all-in and start quoting the official “rules”? Why can’t one fit Shimano to a Colnago, out of interest, oh wise one?

:mrgreen:
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • jeroenvv
    jeroenvv Posts: 23
    Stunning in every way!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    OP Remember who's riding the new Colnago and smile.

Gorgeous bike, enjoy in good health.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    That's a thing of beauty Gweeds, nice one.
  • gweeds
    jeroenvv wrote:
    Stunning in every way!
    Slowmart wrote:
    OP Remember who's riding the new Colnago and smile.

Gorgeous bike, enjoy in good health.
    Beatmaker wrote:
    That's a thing of beauty Gweeds, nice one.

Thanks all!
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gorgeous looking bike. Colours go very nicely.
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    Simply Luvleh
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • ollaay
    ollaay Posts: 166
    What a beaaauty
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    velogee wrote:
    Simply Luvleh

Wonder if he has "plenty in the tank" after riding it?
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Real nice bike and great pics too, well done.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • grant2307
    grant2307 Posts: 135
    Very nice photos, nice bike too :mrgreen:
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    I never get tired of looking at this build! Perfect!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    :lol:
    Shortfall wrote:
    velogee wrote:
    Simply Luvleh

Wonder if he has "plenty in the tank" after riding it?
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Cracking bike. And you clearly know your way around a camera. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • gweeds
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Cracking bike. And you clearly know your way around a camera. :)

Thanks!! And I hope so!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    nice bike
  • gweeds
    nice bike

Cheers dude
  • gweeds
    So, a couple of tweaks over the last few days.

Firstly, a change of stem, and from a 110mm Apto to a 120mm ARX Ltd Stealth carbon. For me the proportions match the frame better now and the Apto looked a little slim when I tried a 120mm version. It felt a little 'tucked in' with the 110mm and that extra with the 120mm has opened it up just the right amount.

Secondly, tyre swap. From 25mm Conti GP4000sII with butyl tubes to Specialized Turbo Cotton 'Hell of the North' 28mm's with latex tubes. The Contis come up big as most people know and measure 26.8mm on the Bora's. The Turbo's run narrower and come up at 27.9mm so almost exactly true to size on these wheels. Weight wise they're 32g heavier per wheel but in terms of performance they're not even close. Supple, smooth and grip like hell. The Conti's don't see which way they went.

Why 28's and not the 26's? I'm convinced that my local county council here in Hampshire have pretty much given up with any pretence of road maintenance. I'm in a rural area and 80% of my riding is on unclassified country lanes, with a few B roads thrown in. The bigger chamber offers a bit more help with the often abysmal surfaces. Also the 28mm's aren't just a bigger version, but instead have a tread that comes further around the sidewall for better protection there, along with an uprated black-belt puncture layer. They were designed around the tubs that Quick-Step and Bora use for the spring classics (Sagan winning P-R on the 28mm tub version).

Plus I think the tan sidewalls look absolutely great.

41849436441_a86169f343_k.jpg
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Nice!

The shiny spacer looks a bit strange. Could you try a Matt one to match the cone and stem? Super detailed I know but it kinda looks like there is no spacer there at all at present the way the light catches it.

I also now prefers this colourway to the blue one.
  • gweeds
    Nice!

The shiny spacer looks a bit strange. Could you try a Matt one to match the cone and stem? Super detailed I know but it kinda looks like there is no spacer there at all at present the way the light catches it.

Oddly enough I'm trying to find one. I have a 3k weave one but that sticks out a bit as everything else is UD carbon. This one is UD but isn't as matt as I'd like. In some light it looks it, but in light like this it's not quite right. Good eye!
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Lovely, really like the tan sidewalls on that too
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Gweeds wrote:
    Nice!

Oddly enough I'm trying to find one. I have a 3k weave one but that sticks out a bit as everything else is UD carbon. This one is UD but isn't as matt as I'd like. In some light it looks it, but in light like this it's not quite right. Good eye!

Guy I just bought some from amazon that are UD matte

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019HH4VUQ/ ... 8AbKHV7M5B
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    That bike is ridiculously nice.
  • oddball1313
    oddball1313 Posts: 11
    Great looking bike, does make you wonder what's wrong with people who feel the need to make negative comments about certain brands of wheel and crank set relative to the frame builder (I had similar comments on my Bianchi for putting Zipp bars and stem on it) One thing worth checking out is when I picked my Infinito with the the same Campag 50 Ultras (clincher version) I was told not to use Latex inner tubes as they can burst if they get too hot. I've found the continental tubes to be really good, I think it might be worth changing them before finding out the hard way.

https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... 4_2017.pdf
  • pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Bellissimo!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    shimano is pretty common in italy now. Has there ever been a bad looking colnago? not this one for sure.

You also have a proper saddle to handlebar drop.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    That bike is gorgeous. Chapeau for riding that on Hampshire’s crap roads. As a Hampshire resident, and tax payer, I’ve pretty much given up on road cycling. But that bike is calling me back to the tarmac!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • gweeds
    Thanks everyone - I stopped getting notifications. Wasn't being rude!

One last change is that the 3T Arx Ltd stem has gone - mainly because as I was fitting it after changing spacers it blew the head off a bolt at just 4NM. So that went back and I'm now running a 120mm Enve instead. No such problems!

@Alex222 - thanks!

@Kingstonian - cheers man!

@TurboTommy - I've now had the steerer chopped down as you saw on WW so no spacers now. The fit is now *perfect*.

@Oddball1313 - I've read about that, but as the bike lives in Hampshire and I've no plans on riding anywhere like the alps there's little danger of that. I'm not on the brakes much, and certainly not enough to generate that sort of heat. I've run latex tubes for a few years and with carbon rims for the last 3 with no issues. Cheers for the heads-up though.

@Pnev - thanks!

@thecycleclinic - I had heard that before. Seems that over there they don't see the need to have to run an Italian groupset on an Italian bike (when the C64 launched the designer of the bike was running his with DA Di2).

@BelgianBeerGeek - tell me about it! The 28mm's help for sure.

I cannot say enough good things about this bike. After a nasty health scare last year it's absolutely re-ignited my love for riding. As it should be for the money I know, but it's just sublime.
  • gweeds
    Soooo - quick shots showing the Enve stem and the steerer cut down to its final length. Bike is wearing Bora Ultra 35's here rather than the 50's previously, and I think I may well prefer the 35's overall. Anyone thinking about Turbo Cottons should get some, these 28's are just wonderful.

27433872047_125f7d74a3_k.jpg

41581429904_c39dc0060e_k.jpg

I reckon that's it for any tweaks now. The ride is absolutely perfect.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Hmm. May have to get some of those in 24mm if I see a bargain. Very tasty.