Knee Pain

dazz_ni45
dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
I know that the internet isn't really the correct place to diagnose any issues, but I'm going to Majorca this evening for a week of cycling and don't have time to get an appointment to get it checked out properly.

I did a long ride last Saturday (150 miles) and towards the end of the ride I started to get pain in the outside/front of my right knee especially when standing to climb. This also coincided with wearing new shoes with new cleats and although I tried to replicate cleat position, there is probably a small difference in position.

My knee was ok when off the bike however it came back last night during a race (again when out of the saddle climbing) and is sore today going up and down stairs.

My uneducated guess is that is likely to be cleat position and I'm concerned about making it worse when I am away considering the amount of miles/climbing planned.

Has anyone any suggestions on what adjustment may be needed to the cleat? I came across an article which suggested the cleat was too far to the outside of the shoe, but it is as far in as it will go.

Many thanks

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    So you put on new cleats in a slightly different position then rode 150 miles to try them out and you wonder why your knees hurt.
  • What colour are the shoes?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    When adjusting the cleats it's the opposite of what you want to achieve, so if you want to move your foot closer to the bike (since the outer part of you knee hurts) the cleat needs to move outwards (looking the shoe from above). Also if you your feet have an angle the cleat should also follow that so the knee doesn't get out of place when pedaling (small angle adjustment). Since your outside of the knee hurts it could be the IT Band, you can use a foam roll for injuries, 3 times a day for 2 minutes in slow motion (there are instructions online on how to do the motion).

If it gets worse and the adjustments don't fix the issue you should rest instead of going for a week of cycling...
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    zefs wrote:
    When adjusting the cleats it's the opposite of what you want to achieve, so if you want to move your foot closer to the bike (since the outer part of you knee hurts) the cleat needs to move outwards (looking the shoe from above). Also if you your feet have an angle the cleat should also follow that so the knee doesn't get out of place when pedaling (small angle adjustment). Since your outside of the knee hurts it could be the IT Band, you can use a foam roll for injuries, 3 times a day for 2 minutes in slow motion (there are instructions online on how to do the motion).

If it gets worse and the adjustments don't fix the issue you should rest instead of going for a week of cycling...

Thanks for the advice