Tyres: Panaracer Gravel King vs Schwalbe G-One - 700x35c

lukasamdvLJ27cA7
lukasamdvLJ27cA7 Posts: 51
edited July 2018 in Cyclocross
Hello,
I use my CX bike as.. CX bike ( ;) ), road bike, and also gravel bike. I have road wheelset and second for "terrain". Now I use Schwalbe X-One 700x33c tubeless. Great tyres for grass and mud, but slow and noisy on roads, also I think "heavy" for gravels. Looking for gravel-specific tyres and don't know what will be better - Panaracer Gravel King or Schwalbe G-One? I'ld like to also use them without tubes.

Max. size is 700x38 (I write this, because Gravel Kings are 38 in real, yep?), maaaaaybe 700x40 but it must be real 40 mm.

Comments

• wullrich
    wullrich Posts: 21
    The G-ones are fantastic.
    There is also a G-One speed that should have faster rolling on pavement and packed dirt.

I dont know about the Panaracers, but they do seem to be wide.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I have replaced the x-one all round on my gravel bike with the Panaracer Gravel King SK 35mm, it's a touch bigger but not massively so.

I didn't think there was much weight difference but then if your heading into the woods light tyres tend to the fragile I've torn two pre tubeless tyres, both rips measured inches... thus far the stronger sidewalls of tubeless tyres (i run tubes) has not ripped.

i'd say that the x-one does feel slightly more "squishy" than the gravel King at same pressures, which was the only thing I didn't like that much about the x-one. is one faster than another? looking at my times up or along various climbs/segments i seem as fast on a road bike as I do on the CX bike or the gravel bike, ie i think the tyres though may feel slow or what ever at least CX/gravel/road tyres are close enough that it's the engine that matters.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Been riding 40mm G-One Speed tubeless on my CX bike on the road this winter - barely slower than my race bike. If you think a CX/gravel tyre is noisy / slow on a road, try a fatbike!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • snilard
    snilard Posts: 1
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Been riding 40mm G-One Speed tubeless on my CX bike on the road this winter - barely slower than my race bike. If you think a CX/gravel tyre is noisy / slow on a road, try a fatbike!
    What is real width of 40mm G-One Speed? What rims do You have? I am deciding between G-One speed 40 mm an Gravel Kings 38 mm in 650b diameter. Real width is my main concern because of small clearance of my fork what is made for 700x28c tires.