Suntour rebound adjuster has shot off!!

jamieblackford
jamieblackford Posts: 59
edited May 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Out riding along a canal path last weekend and I heard a ping noise. Thought nothing of it and continued riding only to notice my rebound adjuster bolt has shot off. The forks are still holding air but are clunking when the inside chamber is hitting the bottom of the stanchion. Do I just need to buy the red but and the little stem that comes with it? As there is nothing I can see to re attach the new but onto. The forks are Suntour Raidons from a voodoo Bizango. Cheers.
"Great minds think a bike"

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The rebound adjuster has nothing to do with air pressure in the fork.
    It is used to adjust the speed at which the fork extends following compression.
    If the fork is bottoming out you need to increase the air pressure and set the sag using a shock pump. There are plenty of guides on line explaining/showing how to do that.

A replacement rebound adjuster is a simple push fit in the fork leg.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    The rebound adjuster has nothing to do with air pressure in the fork.
    It is used to adjust the speed at which the fork extends following compression.
    If the fork is bottoming out you need to increase the air pressure and set the sag using a shock pump. There are plenty of guides on line explaining/showing how to do that.

A replacement rebound adjuster is a simple push fit in the fork leg.

So why is the inside of the fork clunking down on where the red nut has popped off? And does it just push back in? I don’t think it’s the forks bottoming out. Also I’ve been looking at other Raidon forks and not only is the red but missing, there is a silver one that fits between the red adjuster and the fork missing too.
  • JBA
    It sounds like you have lost more than just the rebound adjuster.
    You need to get hold of an exploded diagram of the fork and determine what is actually missing.

Could you post a photo or two showing your forks?

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA
    Looking at THIS DIAGRAM it sounds as if you have lost parts 4 and 5.
    If 5 screws in to the bottom of the LO-R Unit (11) then that would explain the clunking.

• JBA wrote:
    Looking at THIS DIAGRAM it sounds as if you have lost parts 4 and 5.
    If 5 screws in to the bottom of the LO-R Unit (11) then that would explain the clunking.

That’s exactly what I’m missing yes thanks for the help. I’ve been trying to upload pictures but my photo bucket isn’t working. I’ve phoned Halfords and Evans cycles for advice and they’re both telling me that basically it’s a new forks job as when something like this happens on lower end forks it’s not possible to fix. I’ve sources the two parts I need but it’s shipped from America that isn’t going to be cheap. I don’t want to waste my money if it’s not fixable even with the parts.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wouldn't surprise me if Rockshox bits fit. I'd try that before writing them off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Wouldn't surprise me if Rockshox bits fit. I'd try that before writing them off.
    Good shout cooldad worth a punt, There’s parts similar on the net I’ve found, some with short stem and some with long stem, looks like I need short. Il try get some pics uploaded soon.
  • Many thanks everyone for all the help and advice. I’ve finally sourced the parts from a company in the uk and thankfully nothing seems to have been damaged it was just a case of re fitting the rebound bolt and adjuster. Time to get back to riding after 2 years :O