Halford C2W scheme. Not buying a complete bike?

chunkytfg
chunkytfg Posts: 358
edited May 2018 in Commuting chat
I got a bike last year on the halford c2w scheme and my work have again allowed us to do the scheme. I'm not seeing anything that takes my fancy but do like the idea of upgrading the last bike with some new bits.

Has anyone managed to buy just parts for a new bike using a Halfords voucher? Thinking it would look good with SRAM force 1 on it over the frankly horrible 105 kit that's on it at the moment.

Tried googling it and searching the c2w scheme website but couldn't find a proper answer on it.
FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Another thread here.

viewtopic.php?t=13065062

Different people have had different results. Worth asking.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 358
    Looks like asking around could be the answer then if results are mixed.

Probably worth trying to find places that accept Halfords vouchers but are smaller shops. More likely to do what needs to be done to make a sale.
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Evans let you buy groupsets, wheels, pretty much anything in fact on C2W schemes. I had an online chat recently and confirmed it’s fine to get eTap with a voucher, plus pay any remaining amount myself.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    We had someone come to our office last week from Halfords/Cycle Republic to explain the scheme. We asked about buying parts and he said you could now yes. He himself said he'd put through groupsets and I asked about buying wheels and he said yes you could do that.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    elbowloh wrote:
    We had someone come to our office last week from Halfords/Cycle Republic to explain the scheme. We asked about buying parts and he said you could now yes. He himself said he'd put through groupsets and I asked about buying wheels and he said yes you could do that.
    Also, I asked about the BC 10% discount and yes, that still replies, as well as any other offer that happens to be on in the store.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    elbowloh wrote:
    elbowloh wrote:
    Also, I asked about the BC 10% discount and yes, that still replies, as well as any other offer that happens to be on in the store.

Now that's an interesting development. I was expclitly told I couldn't use BC on a C2W purchase.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • nickcuk
    nickcuk Posts: 275
    Full rules here https://www.cycle2work.info/Employees/FAQs

So

A) most safety accessories are OK but few out-and-out parts are automatically allowed
    B) Cycling club discounts don't apply

But if your local bikehut guy puts it through, don't be surprised
  • nickcuk wrote:
    Full rules here https://www.cycle2work.info/Employees/FAQs

So

A) most safety accessories are OK but few out-and-out parts are automatically allowed
    B) Cycling club discounts don't apply

But if your local bikehut guy puts it through, don't be surprised

There seems to have been a relatively recent change in the Cycle Scheme implementation, which earlier this year was updated as follows:
    What accessories can I get?
    With Cyclescheme you can get any accessory that keeps your bike wheels turnings, like:

Safety accessories - that help keep you and your bike safe; helmets, bike lights, reflectors, mirrors, bells, locks...

Essential accessories - necessary to cycle commute; clothing and shoes, mudguards, panniers, backpacks, child safety seats…

Components and parts - that keep your bike in great shape; pumps, puncture repair kits, cycle tool kits, tyre sealant, groupsets, wheels, cranksets, cassettes...

In fact - you can get almost any cycle accessory with Cyclescheme!

Wiggle and a few others have followed suit. I'm not sure about changes to the legislation, but I'd imagine if some of the larger companies say it's OK, it ought to be.

https://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/help/faqs ... me-package
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    I read a while ago that groupsets etc could be included to stop commuters buying a new bike every year and the thus
    reduce the environmental impact of new bikes etc...instead they could replace wearable parts for the original bike.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Joys of Cycle Scheme vs Halfords Cycle to Work scheme vs official UK govement guidance causing all this confusion..

and the scheme provider being out of the employee's control.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...