The 100K Mark

gnave
gnave Posts: 65
Hey All,

I am fairly new to proper road cycling (2 years in total) I cycle every day about 20K + 4 times a week TT session + 2 long weekend rides (80-100K each)

I had my bike fit by a reputable fitter once when I got the bike and second time 6 months after the initial fit to account for improved flexibility etc.

I also strength training and flexibility 3-4 times a week, so I would like to think I am a fit person.

During my long weekend rides, there seems to be a point (around the 100KM) mark where things seem to start getting uncomfortable. mostly lower back and neck pain. It's not like I have to stop riding, but it's just not a nice feeling.

Looking to do my first 160KM(100Milers) this summer, and advice on how I can make the additional 60KM past the 100KM a bit more enjoyable.

Thanks.

G

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Change your position regularly when riding - use downhills to get out of the saddle and stretch the lower back (but don't impale your junk on the top of the steerer). Also HTFU ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,260
    Sounds like your setup is too aggressive.

Try to flip the stem and see if it gets better
    left the forum March 2023
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Bloody hell I wish things didn't start to get uncomfortable until 100k for me!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Svetty wrote:
    Change your position regularly when riding - use downhills to get out of the saddle and stretch the lower back (but don't impale your junk on the top of the steerer). Also HTFU ;)

This. I wouldn't go changing your set up and ruin everything. Just have regular intervals of sitting up, standing, using the tops, hoods, drops and even no hands to give your back some respite.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I think you will always get uncomfortable when pushing distances you don't normally or frequently do.

However, you could also try getting off and stretching out your back at 80k?