Cassette query

desmondo84
desmondo84 Posts: 18
edited May 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I have a second hand Kona which is slipping a bit so I think I need to replace the cassette - chain is fine as it was replaced fairly recently.

It looks like the previous owner added in an additional granny gear - 42T, and it has a 1X10 set-up. If I keep the granny gear, do I buy a 9 speed cassette to make up the 10 or do I buy a 10 speed cassette and remove a cog? Or do I buy a 10 speed cassette with a 42T?

Comments

• milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    The important thing is to maintain the spacing between the sprockets. Any sprocket will do. Whatever speed your chain is, is the number speed cassette you need to maintain the spacing of.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    If your gears at the back are 10 speed you will need a 10 speed cassette. You'll remove one of the smaller sprockets and add your big one. Might be worth double-checking what brand your expander sprocket is so you can check cassette compatibility before you purchase.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Buy a Shimano Deore HG500 11-42 10-speed cassette. Sorted.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    What wheel size and what teeth on chainring.

Have you ridden the big to figure out if you need 42t sprocket.

Replace cassette, ride it and then decide.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Wide range 10 speed casettes aren’t expensive, just get one of those, Sunrace are good had one myself