Giro - Team Line Ups

meursault
meursault Posts: 1,433
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Moscon's doing the Tour. Don't know about Rosa.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Puccio will be the homers pick for Sky
  • meursault
    RichN95 wrote:

As I imagine most of this team will do.

Voltaire
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    meursault wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

As I imagine most of this team will do.

Likely Thomas, Rowe & Kwiato in for the tour.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    not sure why Knees looks so surprised - I've always thought he was an excellent dom
  • Poor Kenny. Pushed into the maelstrom!
  • RichN95.
    Poor Kenny. Pushed into the maelstrom!
    He seemed pretty keen to be involved at the Tour of Alps
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Great team, Go Froomie!
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I say it every year, but eventually Sky will win all three GTs in the year. Plus Bernal is going to the Tour of California so they could win the 4th too...;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Why not change the title to "Giro - team line ups" and do all the teams???
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Was thinking that, need a good Giro speculation thread!
  • meursault

I was wondering where the Giro threads were, but I'm just a lowly inane mutterings mortal.

Voltaire
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    De La Cruz and Henao to be practically invisible throughout, Kiry and Knees to do their thing on't flat, lil' Kenny to be with Froome for the first week, Poels to look poor for a week or so but hang around 7th on GC before taking over as Froome's last man as the race goes on and Puccio to bridge the gap between Kiry and whoever the last man is at the time.

Is my guess.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,200
    meursault wrote:

I was wondering where the Giro threads were, but I'm just a lowly inane mutterings mortal.

I assumed nobody wanted to open up for the inevitable shytestorm of Froome & Israel start.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • meursault wrote:

I assumed nobody wanted to open up for the inevitable shytestorm of Froome & Israel start.

Armstrong is visiting so that is like playing the Trump card
  • meursault
    meursault wrote:

Armstrong is visiting so that is like playing the Trump card

I see what you did there.

Voltaire
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    That final week is brutal. I mean I know there is a rest day in there but still.

The Zoncolan, a stage ripe for attacking, the decisive TT, and then 3 monster mountain stages. Ouch.
  • RichN95.
    jam1e wrote:
    De La Cruz and Henao to be practically invisible throughout,
    Henao will have a specific job, which is to be the last man to put everyone in the red when Froome wants to launch an attack. He's the best guy they have for that but no-one's done it effectively since Porte.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Milton50 wrote:
    That final week is brutal. I mean I know there is a rest day in there but still.

The Zoncolan, a stage ripe for attacking, the decisive TT, and then 3 monster mountain stages. Ouch.

It's the Giro isn't it? The last week is always brutal. The nature of the geography means there is nearly always several stages in the Dolomites or Alps before the (usual) finish in Milan.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    meursault wrote:

I think the Israel start is great, a great country. Should help its tourism if they wheel out the hotties they have on the TV advertising as well
  • RichN95.
    The Zoncolan stage clashes with the Royal Wedding. There will be fights in some households.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,602
    RichN95 wrote:
    The Zoncolan stage clashes with the Royal Wedding. There will be fights in some households.

The Royal Wedding clashes with the FA Cup Final, there will be fights in the Windsor household
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

The Royal Wedding clashes with the FA Cup Final, there will be fights in the Windsor household
    It's Chelsea v Man Utd. I think he's an Arsenal fan, and she supports Rochdale.

(One of those may not be true)
  • ClaudeH
    ClaudeH Posts: 78
    meursault wrote:

I think the Israel start is great, a great country. Should help its tourism if they wheel out the hotties they have on the TV advertising as well

Agreed. I was there last year and kept thinking that I wished I had my bike. I think the Jerusalem stage will be quite something.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    RichN95 wrote:

Saved! :D

On the subject of general Giro startlist: boy, some teams are sending a right load of old leftover lightweights.
    A handful of heavyweight names, but very few middleweights to contest the bottom half of the top ten.
    Also, Viviani and Bennett must think Christmas has come early.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    phreak wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:

It's the Giro isn't it? The last week is always brutal. The nature of the geography means there is nearly always several stages in the Dolomites or Alps before the (usual) finish in Milan.

Yeh, seems tough even by Giro standards though.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    RichN95 wrote:
    jam1e wrote:
    Henao will have a specific job, which is to be the last man to put everyone in the red when Froome wants to launch an attack. He's the best guy they have for that but no-one's done it effectively since Porte.
    I have yet to see anything truly impressive from Henao. Bernal seems considerably stronger already, let alone in 4 years.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    RichN95 wrote:

Saved! :D

On the subject of general Giro startlist: boy, some teams are sending a right load of old leftover lightweights.
    A handful of heavyweight names, but very few middleweights to contest the bottom half of the top ten.
    Also, Viviani and Bennett must think Christmas has come early.

Movistar - 3 quality GC contenders and letting them fight it out at the tour.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,066
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    jam1e wrote:
    I have yet to see anything truly impressive from Henao. Bernal seems considerably stronger already, let alone in 4 years.

That might be the plan but Henao doesn’t seem to have much form for the last couple of years, can see him dropping whilst there’s still a good couple of dozen riders left.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    I've just realised i've got the final 2 weeks of the Giro off on holiday in Holland and a pregnant wife who won't be able to walk around for hours like we normally do.

Bring ooooon the Giro.