Alpe Du Zwift

2»

Comments

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    JGSI wrote:
    I'm still awaiting for the software geeks to have a slight infusion of imagination and develop a Flanders route complete with nasty punchy bergs, surrounded by a beerfrites haze off the spectators.
    It takes an imaginary race for me to actually want to turn the pedals around these days on Zwift.

I can only see indoor cycling (and simulation) getting bigger for the foreseeable, so I'd imagine we'll see everything eventually.

I bet punchy classics type courses would appeal to a lot of people, as would short crit-like courses - the latter might well end up the most-used of all course types.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I got bored by "turn 14"... well, sort of. Got a heavy duty LVRC race tomorrow with 4 miles of it into a notorious sidewind causing echelons even on non closed roads.
    I suppose if you have surround sound with 65inch 4k and a 1k+ adaptive trainer, it makes sense.
  • Hauled my 90kg body up it yesterday - 67 mins @ 259W, not bad considering my FTP (as of 2 weeks ago) is 253. Found it easier than I was expecting, got into a rhythm at a realistic pace and kept going (I recall advice along these lines when preparing for a Ventoux ride last summer)
  • W12_Lad
    W12_Lad Posts: 184
    As previously stated, you get awarded extra kit randomly for finishing the climb.
    If you get awarded kit you already have, you receive 250xp.
    On the 5th climb you get 500xp in addition.
  • I recently bought a Tacx Neo, but opted for TrainerRoad over Zwift. Not having seen Zwift in operation, dos the software just shunt you about on the road and position you where it wants? Curious how bends in the road and descents are dealt with.
  • I recently bought a Tacx Neo, but opted for TrainerRoad over Zwift. Not having seen Zwift in operation, dos the software just shunt you about on the road and position you where it wants? Curious how bends in the road and descents are dealt with.

Basically, yes.

Corners - even the hairpin descents - are just taken at straight line speed. Road position is automatically calculated by the software depending on other riders around you (although left side of the road on London, right hand side other maps). It'll automatically put you into the "draft" behind another rider unless you power past.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I recently bought a Tacx Neo, but opted for TrainerRoad over Zwift. Not having seen Zwift in operation, dos the software just shunt you about on the road and position you where it wants? Curious how bends in the road and descents are dealt with.

Basically, yes.

Corners - even the hairpin descents - are just taken at straight line speed. Road position is automatically calculated by the software depending on other riders around you (although left side of the road on London, right hand side other maps). It'll automatically put you into the "draft" behind another rider unless you power past.

Rumours are that zwift are going to change it so that it slows down for corners soon. Aims to make it more realistic for racing.
  • Thanks for the clarifications. Might be tempted to join Zwift too next winter, but think I'll stick to TR for the time being.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    The descent is a bit laughable. I did the climb this evening, then to get a few more km towards the level 12, turned around and hopped off the bike. It made its way down in about 11 minutes, barely slower than when I rode down it the other day. Hit 80 kmh with no help from me at all.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Unexpectedly found myself able to do this tonight despite being level 11 so decided to push on. Really “enjoyed it”.

Ticking off the turns keeps you focused, really nice FTP session.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    Unexpectedly found myself able to do this tonight despite being level 11 so decided to push on. Really “enjoyed it”.

Ticking off the turns keeps you focused, really nice FTP session.

was that as part of the Tour of Watopia? You can ride it as part of a zwift event, just not solo.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Apparently you can join someone that is already on the climb and then ride it, even if you aren't the right level
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Apparently you can join someone that is already on the climb and then ride it, even if you aren't the right level

+1

Done this a handful of times (best I've had is a start at hairpin 20, but typically ~16), but sadly not been near a bike since Sunday, due to manflu. :evil:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Finally got round to it. Decided to spin up rather than put my heart under stress. Quite enjoyed it and don't feel at all done in.

Then, as others have done, hopped off, tidied up the garage and waited for myself to get to the bottom.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.