Garmin Edge 130

mamil314
mamil314 Posts: 1,103
edited April 2018 in Road general
Was about to get Wahoo Elemnt Bolt when this was announced. I would so like for this to just work since it has features i want and long battery life. What are the chances Garmin will, finally, get the software right? The fact that they just had to postpone (according to the DC Rainmaker) Edge 520 Plus straight after announcement does not inspire much.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Looks quite small.

I usually only have 3 or 4 fields showing on my 520 but not sure that will be easy to read at a glance unless it's only showing a couple of fields.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    If you have a look at the Bikeradar's own review, 130 screen is easier to read than (scratched up?) 520 scren. It should be a nice improvement on my oldie Edge 500. If it works. Which is, tome, a worry with Garmin.
  • mamil314 wrote:
    What are the chances Garmin will, finally, get the software right?

0%
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • The edge 800 was the last decent one they made, just a pain having to boot my laptop up and use a lead to upload rides. I did get an edge 25 and it's okay although text messages don't come through on it. I was going to treat myself to the edge 1030 but reading on the garmin forums I don't think I'll waste my money.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I love my Edge 25. Never had any problems with it with almost two years of weekly use. I get text come through to my Edge from my phone?
    The new Edge 130 does look good for the money for me. I personally like the fact it has Strava segments on it.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    it can talk to Bluetooth, and record power data and can use galileo satellites. looks like it'll be an ideal mid range product.
  • LeeDa
    LeeDa Posts: 82
    Wahoo Bolt has full navigation, although I did wish it had re-routing capabilities. The navigation is the clincher for me though.

It's a shame Garmin do not offer a product that directly competes with the Wahoo i.e. a unit that has full navigation with no subpar colour touch screens. Just simple buttons, limited colour screen or black and white, similar price point. If there was a Bolt-like Garmin offer that included the better Garmin map format and re-routing I think some would be tempted back to Garmin, if it worked of course! Though I guess for Garmin it risks many not bothering with the more expensive units (to avoid all the issues!). For now I'm sticking with the not perfect, but does what it says Bolt.
  • LeeDa wrote:
    Wahoo Bolt has full navigation, although I did wish it had re-routing capabilities. The navigation is the clincher for me though.

It's a shame Garmin do not offer a product that directly competes with the Wahoo i.e. a unit that has full navigation with no subpar colour touch screens. Just simple buttons, limited colour screen or black and white, similar price point. If there was a Bolt-like Garmin offer that included the better Garmin map format and re-routing I think some would be tempted back to Garmin, if it worked of course! Though I guess for Garmin it risks many not bothering with the more expensive units (to avoid all the issues!). For now I'm sticking with the not perfect, but does what it says Bolt.

But Wahoo Bolt is double the weight.
  • LeeDa wrote:

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If that’s a concern, blow your nose or have a shave before you go out - weight difference compensated for.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)