Tubeless for gravel - does it make sense?

lukasamdvLJ27cA7
lukasamdvLJ27cA7 Posts: 51
edited April 2018 in Road general
Hello, I use my CX bike also as gravel bike - replaced Schwalbe X-One Evo to Panaracer GravelKing SK 700x35c last time and can't seal these tires using trezado sealant (before any issues with Schwalbe X-One). Don't know why, maybe to low pressure in first seal Rims are ok - DT460 with two layers of stans tape. I used tubes and it works fine. According to panaracer website, SK 35c whould be tubeless compatible.

I'm not heavy rider - about 74 kg (~163 lb) and I wonder if it makes sense... Yes, with tubless I can use lower pressure, but with that weight... 40-50 PSI is really ok and without punctures. Also - with or without tubeless, I always MUST take a backup tube... So I think tubeless may be not great always - for MTB race, yes of course! But for general riding... not sure.

Comments

• cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Can't really make much sense of your first paragraph but pretty sure in short that yes - tubeless is great for gravel.

Everyone I know with a gravel or CX bike runs it tubeless, a few race on tubulars.

I've done 1500km tubeless on WTB Resolutes, zero punctures, zero issues.
  • Can't really make much sense of your post but pretty sure in short that yes - tubeless is great for gravel.

You don't 'HAVE' to carry a spare tube
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • You don't 'HAVE' to carry a spare tube

What when you have greater damage on tire?
    Sealant is good, but not for all damages.
  • lukasamd wrote:

I think the point is that punctures are very, very rare on a well set-up tubeless system [depending a bit on where you ride]. So for local stuff, there's something to be said for just hitting the trails without faffing about with pumps, tubes and the assorted shite cyclists like to load themselves up with. And yeah you might be walking once every three years, but that's a trade off against the other 300 rides where you ride round like a boss.

You obv take a tube if you're doing anything substantial, heading out into the wilderness etc, where getting stranded would be more serious.

Tubeless is an absolute no brainer for gravel and mountain bike riding (also road IMHO but not everyone would agree with that).
  • Ok... so I will buy nostan sealant and... try again :)
    I also use tubeless on road - with identical wheelset (have two for one bike) with Schwalbe Pro One and it's fine.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If the tyre punctures and sealant won't seal it, use a worm or two.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    lukasamd wrote:

Yup it’s for nicks and thorns not rips, this said most time punctures are from thorns and what not, though I’ve ripped out sidewalls on flint shards a few times which is a bin the tyre time.

I guess also depends on what pressures you run, I’m heavier and generally not a fan of tyres that squirm, so I reach my goldlocks point happily with tubes, plus I really can’t be bothered with the cost and hassle.
  • As others have said, your first post doesn't make much sense but you should be able to get tubeless tyres to seat on the rims without any sealant at all.

Fit the tyre WITHOUT sealant. Inflate the tyre and once the tyre beads are fully seated on the rim and it's holding air without going flat. Deflate the tyre (make sure you don't unseat the tyre beads from the rim), remove the valve core then add the sealant before finally inflating them.

If they are not holding air I'd suspect the rim tape is the culprit. To prove the rim tape is causing the leaks, dip the inflated wheel in a bowl of water and you'll see bubbles coming from the spoke nipples.
  • I made this again today - cleanup tires, cleanup rims... and seal without sealant without problems - added after that.
    But... I'm still not sure it's "safe" and ok. Used before on MTB, used last time with Schwalbe X-One and now used on road wheelset with Schwalbe Pro One - it's ok, but I think I still should carry backup tube. 

BTW. Tested on 30 PSI front / ~35 PSI rear - maybe more comfort, but difference is not significant. Traction is worse - tires have the tendency to "swim", is not stable.